Trouble lighting ceilings

Hey,

I’m having some trouble getting my ceilings to light properly. For some reason they are a much darker color than everything else. The same thing happens to any “upside down” static mesh. I can do a full 180 rotation of the ceiling to make it a floor, and it will start lighting correctly once it’s upside down. Or, I can rotate a floor 180 to make it a ceiling, and it get lit incorrectly.

It appears anything past a 90 degree rotation (about x or y) starts to get darker than it should.

The same screenshot with a point light works better, everything seems to be lighting correctly in this case.

For scalability reference, this is what it looks like when I use epic scalability.

The course has been really good so far though! Hoping to get this fixed and move on to the next section soon :slight_smile:

Brendan

I think I’ve figured it out!. If I disable the “lower hemisphere is solid color” for the sky light, then I get properly lit meshes that are upside down (I guess what I really mean by upside down is, viewed from the bottom).

However, increasing the scalability, I still have a very dark scene with weird shadows inside the dungeon.

I fixed this by going into the direction light details and disabling the “cast shadows” option.
WARNING: It looks like during the next lecture you want to have this enabled. The instructor changes an option for the directional light at 4:17, however, it appears in newer versions of UE5 that you need to enable “cast shadows” to get the same effect as the option used by the instructor.

That’s really crazy how much of a difference the scalability option makes. I need a more powerful computer haha!

Hopefully someone else might find this helpful if they have the same problem.

Brendan

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms