Tried to solve the cause of the boring loops, instead of handling with them

Hi there,

I´m not sure if it was mentioned somewhere else and I missed it.
From the first time I saw the ball getting stuck because the velocity in one direction was lost I was confused about it: Why does this happen?

Gravity and friction are “disabled” so in theory this shouldn´t happen - or at least not in so simple cases I watched this while doing this curse.
While testing with colliders I realized, that they are all generated with the standard physics material 2D - which has a friction setting of 0.4. And the applied friction to a object is calculated from both involved colliding materials, as far as I know.

After applying a material with 0 friction to all colliders in this ball breaker project it seems, that this solved the boring loops I watched before.
But this doesn´t avoid the need of some randomness - even if the velocity in one direction is not compeletely cancelled, it could be very low - and this is far away from enjoyable gameplay.
And I observed in one test, that the ball was bouncing between two corners of unbreakable blocks. It was not caused by velocity cancellation - but it was still a loop.

So adjusting collider material doesn´t solve the issue. But maybe someone is wondering why this happen, like I did.

Greetings

Privacy & Terms