Tree Problems

I’m using Unity2021.3.22. I downloaded a number of free tree asset packs from the Unity store and can’t get any of them to work. When I paint on the terrain all it does is create pink billboard trees. Except for one pack, the Dry Trees, works perfectly. I tried buying a couple more recent tree packs, thinking they would be more up to date (latest was Feb '03) but had the same problem no 3D trees only pink or white billboards.

I read through some of the other posts about this and none of those solutions seem to work. Switching from HDRP to the default Unity rendering not only doesn’t fix the trees, it breaks all the textures on my map and turns the entire map pink. Updating all assets to HRDP through the HDRP wizard also did not fix the trees.

What’s more confusing is the dead trees that work show up as a pink texture in the edit trees window and the trees that show up pink in the scene are displayed with textures in the edit trees window. I’m also getting Null Reference and Divide by Zero errors when I place the trees. I haven’t added any code to the map yet, so it has to be one of the scripts packaged with the tree assets.

Any ideas? I’m about ready to give up on all these asset packs and make my own trees in Blender.

Hello there, I have been running into the same issue and honestly I am still learning it. I have watched a YouTube video that explains how there are three Default Shaders: Render Pipeline (Default), Universal Render Pipeline (URP), High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP). Assets downloaded from the Unity Asset Store may not be set up for the Shaders of the project itself.

The YouTube video is called “How to fix Pink Materials in Unity”. I would post the link but I am not sure I am allowed to do that here. You should be able to search for it on YouTube though.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks I’ll check that out.

Tried a few tutorial videos, but all they did was add more pink or break one thing while fixing another. Tried restoring the backup I made of the project, but I think the damage had already been irreversibly done.

Ended up starting with a fresh project and didn’t touch anything to do with the render pipeline and some of the trees that didn’t work before suddenly worked properly.

I post videos all the time and nobody’s said anything, I believe that you are allowed as long that it is related, but I guess it doesn’t matter at this point because the issue was solved.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms