TPS instead of FPS: Need advice on Projectile

So, I kinda took a challenge of actually making a TPS instead of FPS. So far, things looked great. I’m using some custom assets and some paragon assets for player. I made two types of guards. Retextured the mannequin. Implemented dynamic crosshair thanks to Dark X on UE4 forums. (See this Dynamic Crosshair and AI suspicion behavior ).

Right now I’m on Gun class that we created. Though I don’t have the BallProjectile in my project. Need advice on what to do about it. I stumbled upon this: Projectile C++ Unreal Wiki
But I am not sure about it.

PS: The video was made before tweaking AI. Also, Custom Textures of mannequin if you want.

Okay, I managed to get the projectile component by following Projectile C++ Unreal Wiki.

Just copied the .cpp and .h files from first person template, added header and rebuilt the project. It now works as intended.

Nice to see. I also thought about grabbing some Paragon assets to use. I’m not going to track them, they’re big, over 2GB for 1 character.

1 Like

Ah yes! I am thinking of getting GitLab which offers up to 10GB for tracking my project.

Did you already do the animations for the characters? I stuck Twinblaster in my game, but it seems like the animations aren’t set up. When you start play he does the animation to draw his gun, but that’s it. If you tell him to run somewhere with an AI behaviour tree, he just slides over instead of running. Are they supposed to be set up, or do I have to go through and lay those all out?

I’m using TwinBlast as my player character. But like, I duplicated the Third Person Character BP, replaced the mannequin with TwinBlast and assigned him the Twinblast AnimBP in Anim Class.

For two different guards I have, i created two different NPC_AI_BP and two different behaviour trees which contains animation data for activity. Maybe try doing that? I tried assigning NPC_AI_BP to my twinblast character BP but it crashed.

Theoretically it should work fine, but I’ll check it out again and let you know.

Hmm…well I’ve just tried doing it that way. He still slides. I duplicated the thirdperson mannequin, set the skeletal mesh to twinblades and set the animation class to him as well. He pops up. I added some patrol routes and he follows them, but again, he just keeps sliding.

You can see there, he just maintains that pose as he slides around on the floor.

I ran Twinblaster’s animation testing map, and if I control him as a playercharacter there, he seems to animate, run, shoot, etc. Must be something in his blueprintclass.

After talking to some people on the Unreal Slacker Discord, we figured it out. “move to” apparently doesn’t give the AI acceleration. So the change to state for jog always fails. Making a direction connection between idle and run fixes it.

and an answer just came up here:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/821053/how-to-use-paragon-assets-for-ai-character.html

You need to tell the AI to use acceleration

1 Like

Oh correct! Most of these Blueprints are made for player controls. Good find!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms