Top Tip: Apply Rotation (fix for rotation breaking mirror results)

When I created my base, I realised that because of the orientation of the original object meant that the axes were in the center of edges, rather than lining up with vertices. To correct this I rotated it by 11.25 degrees.

This created a problem when applying the mirror mod, as the mirroring was also off by 11.25 degrees. The solution I found was: in Object Mode, to go to Object > Apply > Rotation. This sets the rotation back to 0,0,0 but changes the vertex data so that it effectively stays in the same place.

Not sure if this is the “correct” solution, but it sorted out my problem. Of course it wouldn’t have taken long just to rebuild the base, however I wanted to find a fix that would work if I found myself in the same position with something I’d spent a lot of time on.

7 Likes

Thanks for this tip. I’d have become far more frustrated had you not posted this information.

Thx you so much!! :-> !!
I struggled with this problem an hour! solve it

Its really works fine, thank you :sweat_smile:

Thank you!

Hi,

This operation (applying transformation) is discussed in Section 2 Lecture 38, I think it was added recently because of issues like this happening.

Congratulations to you to have figured it alone :+1:

Now i can say that apply hepls with:

• apply scale - critical for UV unwrap
  • apply scale - fixes bevel issues (try it - make cube - scale it unprop - and use bevel for edge loop), i belive helps with another similar operations
  • apply location - critical for some rigging problems

and general mirror mod problems

Thank mate :+1:
That is a remedy :grinning::+1:

Privacy & Terms