Too many unresolved problems, I am stopping this course now I've had enough

Hello,

Ok, it’s too much for me, this course is beyond my eyes, in each lesson there is a problem, and the problem is not resolved afterwards, we accumulate unresolved problems but he continues the course as if everything was fine rather than solving the problems first.
I must have around 5 cumulative uncorrected problems in my project (things that don’t work and that I haven’t managed to solve despite following the course to the letter).

We are already starting with a MetaHuman which is bugged and not viable for our project, … why not have taken the base character from Unreal rather than a buggy character? for my part I had to take the base character from Unreal Engine so every time the instructor talks about going to dig into the metahuman to add or modify things I feel my body tense up because I can’t take it anymore, I know I’m going to have to modify other things since I’m not using the metahuman because of its bugs!

Then the more we advance the less it works and I think the problem comes from me but no each time it’s because the instructor didn’t say everything, the recordings are not good, sometimes the instructor fails to tell us that he had to modify certain things for it to work so we search for half a day where this can come from because we followed the entire course, for certain problems I had to look for other tutorials on internet/youtube/etc to find the origin of the problem and that is not normal.

Actually i have problem for :

1. The character (Can’t use ***** Metahuman)
  2. The aiming walking Character :/, why dont you correct the problem with the walking aiming character at start ?! You see that you got a problem and you dont try to solve it now !! The character walk like a handicaped guy :confused:
  3. The enemies don’t trigger my rock falling on the ground and don’t investigate
  4. The enemyGuard (last in this section) got weapon in the hand but doesn’t take the aiming position (locomotion)
  5. The enemyGuard (last in this section) doesn’t pass in the investigate path (EQS Query Armed Target)

We pay for a course so that we can be taught how to do things correctly, not so that we can look for them ourselves on the internet.

Sorry for my irritation but now I’ve had enough, I’m wasting my time with this course, I’m stopping the course here for my part.

Hi Ipman_Spirit,

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues following the course.
We have a QA team that not only check the video’s for editing issues but also follow along with the content to iron out any mistakes or issues that may occur during the course.
In this case i was the person that followed along with the course and i did not find any issues.

It may be that you are using a later version of unreal than is used in the course that have caused some issues?

We also have a dedicated teaching assistant that is happy to help with issues that occur at each stage so i wonder if you did not reach out to our teaching assistant so they were able to help.
Reaching out to us not only enables us to help you find any mistakes that you may have made (Believe me i have made some in the past and needed a second set of eyes), Or if something is indeed wrong in the video or an update has changed something and we need to go back to edit/update it so its easier to follow.

If you can break down eeach issue you are having and post some screenshots here in this thread i am sure @Tuomo_T will be happy to help to go through them and try to get them resolved for you.

There is no need to apologize as we understand that when things are not working as expected it can be incredibly frustrating but i do restate that in the opening videos we ask that you reach out when you have an issue if you are unable to solve it yourselves.
We are here to help you succeed but we can only do so if we are aware that you are having some issues.

To clarify some of the points you make.

1. We need more information on whats happening here with error messages or what is happening, Adding screenshots can help us diagnose what the issue might be. If you are unsure of what you need to show please do ask!

2. This could be related to the previous issue you are having unless it is the same in the video but i dont remember any issues at this point. I will raise something however when you are prototyping a game sometimes 80% working is close enough to start working on another feature and loop back around to resolve that 20% otherwise you can get bogged down trying to fix that 20% and lose motivation.

3. We need more information on this as well to be able to help, Have you tried adding print messages in to see if things are being triggered and if not why not? I realize this is a blueprint course but the principal is the same as C++ programming and using the print/debug messages can often help to find where the issues might be and often save us some sanity when we debug our own projects!

4. It sounds like there is an issue with the enemyGuard transitioning to the walk whilst aiming state? I admit its been a while since i went through the content but again print statements to find out why its not transitioning can help or a second set of eyes at the blueprint may help.

5. Again sorry to repeat information but debug logs could potentially find why its not having the expected behavior, Screenshots please could help our teaching assistant help you solve some of these issues.

I will at this point provide a hesitant warning that sometimes when errors are this many it may not be possible to fix them all and restarting the content is a possibility. This however does help to really cement the learning that is being taught in the content.

If you find any ommission or mistakes in the content please do let us know as well as we can look at them to see if we need to adjust a video or update part of the content for later versions of Unreal to keep the course fit for purpose.

To sum up.

Please provide as much information as you can for the issues you are having.
Please do bear in mind that if you have an issue at a lecture that you do reach out for help at that point as we never want to see a student struggle on their own if we can help!

Marc Carlyon
GameDev.tv Support Leader

Yes I had a comparable impression of this course (" Unreal Engine 5: Action Adventure Game Development Course"). Even though I could solve lots of the occuring technical issues one will run into if following the instructor this is just because I am not a total beginner.

As I paid 37$ for 4 courses I cannot complain. But the quality of this course is not better compared to some active dude on youtube or the tutorials at the official UnrealEngine webside (which are quite good especially for beginners).

For a paid course what I expected was:

• best practice in scripting (e.g. no tight coupling, using Interfaces, explaining some basic patterns)
  • some nice Meshes/Blueprints/Animations etc. unique to the course
  • a professional instructor who tells you of pro/cons of doing stuff
  • technical assistance if you are running into problems (like Ipman_Spirit)

So lets see how the other courses are. Its too early for a conclusion. But at this point I would never recommend the products on GameDev. Nothing here you cannot get for less money or even free anywhere else (with better quality).

Update (" Unreal Engine 5: Action Adventure Game Development Course"):
Today I saw that all Discussions (Q/A under the videos) are removed from this course now. What is going on at this webside?!

I just looked and the questions are there for me. Maybe an issue on your end, not the website.

Im sorry to hear that. I know things like that can be incredibly frustrating. I do have to say though, having completed my 7th GDTV course as of yesterday I never really had problems following along. I did run into technical problems occasionally, but the Community here and the teaching assistants never took longer than a day to respond and we got those sorted out quickly. I did not however follow the course your thread is about so I cannot relate to the specifics of this course in particular. All I want to say is that we would all be more than glad to have you back on board and share your problems so we can bump our heads together to try to figure them out.

One thing I want to mention at the end is that the main selling point for the GDTV courses for me are the community. Having an active community to ask questions and engage with is worth pure gold when you are a beginner I think. The rest of course is part of a course too, but secondary from my point of view. Still I can see where you are coming from so theres that.

Anyways, wish you the best of luck continuing your game dev journey, no matter how you decide to go on forwards!

Yes you are right. I looked again and now the QA in the Discussion are back. Don’t know what happend.
I take my last point back :zipper_mouth_face:

Privacy & Terms