Too high resolution for this to smooth?

So I’m getting on to the next section of mid level detail but after the joining of blocks and remeshng smooth just doesn’t do anything, which I guess is due to my current mesh resolution levels.

Basically I can’t seem to get rid of the joins between the blocks. Is this just a cash of having to go back and remesh at an earlier stage or does anyone have a solution they have discovered for this.

2 Likes

@NP5 can you see if you can help this student out?

Not sure what you are trying to tell …

But the most common problem is going too fast to detail levels.
Smaller steps in increment of remeshing are needed.
Look at a video of a clay sculptor. removing small parts or adding clay strips.
It’s a slow process, the same in Blender and experience helps.

The tools set of sculpting is enormous, and Grant is only using some of them.
To keep it simple. But you can add more clay strips to fill the gaps (joins?).
And don’t forget the SHIFT or Ctrl key (I forget which one) to invert the current tool action.

Hi @FedPete
What I’m trying to say is that currently the smooth tool has zero effect on my sculpting.
If you look at around 1:45 on the mid level details lesson of the detailed sculpting section Grant is able to move the bicep up and then smooths out all of the joins changes etc.

He is able to repeat this around each of the join sections on his character. Creating a smooth join between the blocking out.

If I move the bicep up, just like he does at the mentioned point in the video and then use the smooth tool, nothing changes at all on my character. The smooth tool is having zero effect.

This is the same if I fill out the sections using clay tools, I can’t then smooth the joins between what I has been added and my original character.

I’ll add a few screen shots to show more what I mean.

1st screen shot is of the shoulder where I’m trying to move the bicep further up. I want to use the smooth tool, like Grant does in the lesson to smooth out the join between the sections. When selecting to smooth tool it has no effect on any of the join

Looking at the above in wireframe. I feel that the reason the smooth tool isn’t doing anything is because of the level of resolution. My understanding of how the smooth tool works is that it draws the faces in making it more compact and therefore appear smoother but as there isn’t really any gaps in the mesh it isn’t doing anything??

Lastly adding clay as an example to the join while it fills up the gap in the shoulder it still has a visible “edge” between the clay and the original design, which again smooth does nothing to remove

Hope that makes a bit more sense

1 Like

The more mesh vertices you have, the more difficult it will be to smooth out large details.

How many vertices are you on currently?

Verts 284,186
Faces 568,360

compared to Grants

Verts 263,255
faces 526,506

Remeshed at 0.005, so 162,666 verts and 162,664 faces. The smooth brush has no effect on this join line around the bottom of the stomach.

1 Like

Do you mean the blocky/facet look?
It’s normal!

Did you switched on the object smooth option?
Next step is remesh to slightly more vertices and smooth.
then next step is remesh to slightly more vertices and smooth.
then next step is remesh to slightly more vertices and smooth.

Change Surface to Laplacian. In Brush Settings.

You may also benefit from a bigger area coverage brush.

1 Like

@NP5 Thank you so much, I went through all of the various settings and that was the one that I didn’t change but that worked a treat.

2 Likes

Glad to get to the bottom of it. I was stumped hence hope FedPete or someone might recognise it first. Then experimented, tried to make it happen as it never would by default.
Eventually tried that dropdown, for no real reason other than it was an poption, and eureka!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms