Tip: "Blender Could Not Be Found" error

I just came across this error myself and did some searching online to see what I could find. As far as I can tell, this issue might come up a number of ways, but since I didn’t see the particular solution I needed here, I thought I’d post it for anyone who might run into the same issue as I did and it’s actually a really simple solution.

Unity won’t detect the Steam version of Blender. I had that version installed long prior to this section of the course, so you will have to get the actual version from the Blender site and install it.

Once I did that, clicking on the asset file opened it in Blender like expected. The asset still appeared to have a blank icon and couldn’t be dragged into the scene or hierarchy, so I right clicked it and hit re-import and everything appears to be working as it should.

Hope this helps someone!

3 Likes

Small correction.
On the official website, at least on Windows, you can get 2 different download version MSI and ZIP files.
The ZIP files is a standalone .exe application which doesn’t install anything. This version doesn’t register any .dll files (like file extensions) into Windows registry making Unity unable to “detect” the Blender’s installation. Steam also uses this version of Blender.
The MSI file is the usual Windows installer method which install the required .dll files for Windows to recognize .blend files. This is the version you got to install if you want Unity to recognize .blend files
—from unity forum

Privacy & Terms