Time to render

Hi,

First my laptop specs:

CPU : Intel i5-4210H @ 2.90GHZ
Graphic card: GeForce GTX 850M
RAM: 8 Go (Not sure if the RAM is used to render with CPU)

:-1: BOO old laptop :-1: (I know it isn’t the best)

Now the results:

Fastest time:

1. GPU Rendering: 3 min 57 s - 480*270 Tile
  2. CPU Rendering: 8 min 52 s - 16*9 Tile

General fact:

1. GPU Rendering is better than CPU rendering, for me, when Tile.size>40px
  2. 16:9 tile size is better than squared one for CPU rendering

There is also something I wasn’t expecting in the results for the GPU, I thought “the bigger the tile size, the quicker the render time” was the rule, but …

(First image is done with squared tiles, second with 16:9 tiles so the X axis in the graph represents the 16’s part.)

… There is a better spot than the full 960*540 :open_mouth:, it is when the Y dimension is half of the final image’s vertical one (270px in this case). Strange rule that doesn’t seem to apply to everyone :thinking: .

Conclusion:

A lot of you got much better computers than mine for rendering :confused: but that won’t stop me !

Cheers !

:-1: BOO old laptop :-1: (I know it isn’t the best)

4 minutes is quite ok, especially for a laptop.
I got 3 minutes with my GTX 660. and about 7 with i5 3470 (some guys get to 1 minute with best GPUs, haven’t seen anyone get less than 51 sec though)
Bought my PC for games 3 years ago, was most reasonable choice than, and had not a slightest complains about it’s performance so far… until I stepped into 3D rendering :neutral_face:
Can live with that for now. Will upgrade my stuff once I will firmly know that I need to, and actually know what I need.
But firstly I have to make sure I’m gonna make money with this. And to make money I need to render cool stuff. Kinda loop here :smile:
Ideally at some point I think about putting together something weird but practical and powerful. Some cool computer with 2 x GTX 1060 I think I saw somewhere info that you can use 2 GPU for rendering…Or maybe something totally weird with like 10 cheap GPUs with good performance/price ratio. Or maybe just put GTX 1060 into my PC an it will be fine, idk yet.

Saw one person report 27 seconds with a GTX-1080 in June

That’s what I am talking about :laughing:
And like I said at the end:

It is true that a man needs to upgrade his computer every now and then, but man … upgrading a laptop is not efficient :rofl: I had to change the fan of mine once (little accident :expressionless:), I could only chose ONE fan because of the dimensions and shape specs and the stock was little, I had to import it from UK (Which imported it from Korea).

Next time I should build my own PC but I 'm kind of lacking money right now :upside_down_face:

Cheers !

Your laptop is quite powerful, you can go a long way through tutorials and render some stuff. No cause for concern is what I’m saying.
You will only need all that power if you are going for rendering animations.
What is your purpose of learning 3D modelling in Blender?

upgrading a laptop is not efficient :rofl:

Upgrading PC isn’t always either. I had a PC before with 2 ghz processor and some weak GPU without a cooler, that was one of them first dual core computers. I firstly changed processor, than put there GTX 550 ti. And than I found that my mainboard is ancient piece of :poop: And than I was like… ahh **** it, I need a whole new PC. :smile:

:rofl: my longest render time in this course was just short of 12 hours for a single frame (the fluffy bunny scene is a monster) that same render took some people as long as 2 days

Privacy & Terms