Tilemap, Rule Tiles and Colliders

The Task:

Create an outside environment, like in this course, but have a way of traversing the slopes (stairs/ladder etc).

The slopes would have a collider to block the player, but not the traversal point.

(the above was created with a normal palette).

The problem:

Creating a rule tile that will enable the above.

At the moment, I either block build a hill and get a contiguous collider (despite having the “grass” tiles set to collider None).

Rule_Tile_Solid_Plateau
Rule_Tile_Solid_Plateau_Wireframe

Or, I create a hollow hill (ie just draw the slopes) for the correct collider shape, but an incorrect slope drawing (looks more like a pile with the top in the middle)

Rule_Tile_Hollow_Plateau
Rule_Tile_Hollow_Plateau_Wireframe

Ideally, I would like to create an appropriate rule tile that can identify the difference between a top tile and a bottom tile as this would be useful with other palettes (such as dungeon walls). The only two solutions I have so far are:

1. A script that detects a trigger collider on the stairs and turns off the collider until the player exits the trigger, or
  2. A hollow hill on the collision layer and a cosmetic grass and hilltop layered on top of it.

I am not 100% sure but it sounds like the second option has the least issues and its a matter of perception on the hill being hollow.
That would be the choice i would make at least :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms