TIleMap Creator?

@Stephen_Hubbard ,

egh so i have been making my own game, and i accidentally got a bit attached to the tile pallet from this course. I just like it. its simple, bright, and has some whimsey to it. I have tried to replace it but nothing feels quite right. May i ask who made this? I would like to buy it or get permission to use it. Ill have to add a few things to it and make some small edits… but… everything else feels wrong now.

1 Like

Well…this is awkward. I was going back through looking to see if the license was somewhere in the resources. obviously it is…apparently you guys made it…so i guess ill just leave this post here so you can enjoy the compliment lol.

1 Like

In many of our previous courses, we’ve sourced assets from asset developers (like Synty with the regular RPG Series courses) that allowed use for student projects, but required a purchase from Synty for publishing your game/commercial use.

With so many talented artists now in our staff, we’ve made every effort with our newer courses, when possible, to utilize our own in house talent to create assets that can be used. This lets us license these assets for your full use. Always check our licenses, however. Best practice for any assets should be to check licenses. As always any code in our courses is free for you to use, mangle, or remix in any way you see fit.

Thankfully, they don’t utilize any assets created by me, because while they would most certainly be free, you’d likely pay me to NOT have to use them. Code for me is easy… graphics… notsomuch.

1 Like

Hey there! I made all the assets used for the course myself. Please feel free to use any or all of them however you please <3

I would love to see some progress pics and how you add to it!

1 Like

Unlike me, @Stephen_Hubbard has excellent graphics abilities. :slight_smile:

Well, I wouldn’t go THAT far! But we out here trying! <3

1 Like

I can generate a color pallet from the tiles, but if it was a pre published palette from Lospec or in aseprite would you mind sharing?

there isnt much that i want to add for the forest biomes im working on, but i might re-shade and change a few things and just use the same set for other biomes.

what im adding…
single tile stuff for thinner strips
a transition piece from first to 2nd floor
a second piece on each side for straight extensions so it does not repeat the same tile the entire time
what i might add…
a “Lower Canopy” of branches with leaves just at the trim. the idea being to allow things like the “fairy” particle effect to go through the trees but not over the top of them.

I think I started with a color palette from Lospec but I couldn’t tell you what one! Funny thing I’ve been practicing my color theory and pixel art quite a bit since I made these assets and there are quite a few that I think I could do much better next time around! haha.

Would love to see what you come up with when you have some more assets!

Yeah the other art i have been working with/making is more…detailed. but more detailed does not necessarily mean better. there is a certain charm that can come out of simple art.I retextured everything in a couple of scenes twice(once even using a really good set by ELV games). Both times it felt like i lost some of the original “charm”.

Ill share something once I’m less self conscious about it lol.

Consistency is the key…
For example… if you have 15 retro 8bit characters in a scene, and then you put in a beautifully rendered character, it’s going to break the suspension of disbelief that naturally occurs when we play these types of games…

Fun (related, but only tangentially) fact: If you make an animated movie and all of the characters are stylized… take the Grue/Minions movies, or the Incredibles, then the audience will suspend disbelief and sit back and enjoy the show. The same holds true in video games… If you have a video game with Low Poly characters or Stylized Characters, or even Unity level PBR characters, the audience will suspend disbelief and enjoy the game.
If, however, you try to achieve hyper realism within a CGI movie or game… Let’s take Beowulf as an example, then the audience will start to compare any imperfections (the eyes didn’t move right in Beowulf at all!!!) and it will distract from the story. Similar issues happen if you look at old shows in the early days of CGI where a character is blended into the scene… The CGI stands out rather than adding an impressive effect, and you start to generate disbelief (get taken out of the story as your mind points out what was wrong with the effect).

When inconsistent graphics are applied, like with 3d (my main speciality) games, if you use a mix of Low Poly and PBR graphics, the brain’s difference engine kicks in, suspending disbelief and taking the player out of the story.

yeah when i retextured i kept everything 16x16. I am going to play more with post processing before i scrap the current tiles and go back. Ill let yall know how it works out.

Privacy & Terms