Three kingdoms chess scene

may add more to the scene later on but here is a good look at my completed 3 player Chinese chess set with jade pieces and a marbled board encased in mahogany, will make draws to fit into the slots at some point, to be used as storage for the chess pieces when not in use.

I may change the textures on the pieces so only certain parts are jade, or texture it in such a way so that it would look similar to how I intend to paint the 3D prints of these, what do you all think?

7 Likes

You made a very distinctive chess set. Well done.
I only think that the jade texture gives the impression of a noisy Cycles render.
It hides the details of your nicely crafted chess pieces.

2 Likes

Very nice set and board.

The procedural textures all look rather busy.

I think proper image based PBR materials would make it look a lot better. But it may be you have not covered that yet.

2 Likes

yeah i would be better off using a proper image texture, am meaning to switch it to something more appropriate in the future, this was more an experimental placeholder so i could have a chance fiddling around with the generated textures settings

2 Likes

Printed out a test piece to see how it might come out for real and was pretty happy with it. I’ve had to make the real models half the size of standard chess pieces so that the larger chess board is small enough to fit on the printer bed

1 Like

Not bad for FDM. Resin prints are so much better though especially with all that detail.

2 Likes

did a larger scale print out that did the model better justice for display, gonna paint it today and then make a new texture set for the chess pieces based on that. Wish I had a resin printer so bad

1 Like

Privacy & Terms