Thoughts on the completing the course

course complete

Firstly, i want to say this course is the best of any course even outside of game development i have used.
The pace, the repeating of topics and especially the challenges from the lecturers make this such an amazing learning resource, it inspired me to begin a blog, set up remote source control and best of all helped me focus and complete a couple of videos each and every day.

I have one gripe with the course, the final section.
Unfortunately there feels like a lack of consistency on the final section, missing the instructor hangouts and the noticeable lack of Ben, while Rick is really awesome i find the back and forth between the instructors during previous sections to be a great help.

BUT i would recommend this course to anyone interested in Unity/game dev it has been a real pleasure to work through!.

Thank you Rick,Ben and the rest of the GameDev.tv team!

7 Likes

I agree pretty much 100%, after completing both the 2D and 3D courses I’m impressed with the well thought out structure, I really like the focus on some important tangential aspects like writing clear code which almost no other course puts much effort in and I love the use of those “challenges” that really help to learn.

I have also to agree on the remark about the last section. It felt to me somewhat tucked in, maybe a preview of the eventual complete revamp of the course, but it felt very different, and I missed the more technical point of view of Ben. The instructor hangouts have only been marginally interesting to me but their lack in just the last section felt off too.
That’s not to say Rick isn’t a good instructor, he does an awesome job on the 2D course, which by the way also felt a lot more polished overall, like their skills with the courses improved in the year or two separating the two courses, so I can wholly recommend the 2D course to anyone interested.

I have more GameDev.tv courses lined up, the bar is set high but I’m confident they’ll be awesome too.

2 Likes

I also feel like the ending was a bit lackluster, since there wasn’t a video dedicated to it, just the Props and Polish lecture.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms