This is the Worst chapter in 'Simple Shooter,' I'd say

Course has been fine, otherwise, I’d like to say.

But I think, maybe, we should’ve just made this Behavior-Tree task through the editor. Not because it isn’t a good teaching opportunity to do it through c++. But because that opportunity has been squandered, here.

The last two chapters amount to a wheelbarrow dump of broken and unfamiliar implementations, aimed at forcing the student into BTTasks in c++, but without taking the time needed to get there.

And even after all 16 minutes of the two chapters, I still don’t figure I’ve got much of a chance of being able to remember which of these pocketed classes I need to derive from; before I have to hack a special reference into the Build.cs; before I insert an absent constructor to assign a nodename; Before I dig recursively through multiple nested libraries to acquire an obscure method that’ll need overridden to do anything; remembering, along the way, not to think to hard about the NodeMemory pointer, because “its complicated” I guess; Before extracting the method for clearing a value from a component returned by a function under the OwnerComp pointer; before I close the function with yet another one-off struct type we have to make any sense of.

I think its safe to say, this chapter was too much all at once. I didn’t even attempt the challenge, when it came up. (because, my god)

The information will not be retained.

1 Like

I’ve gone on to the next chapter now, and I may have spoken too soon.

Was this course supposed to be part of a pack where any of this BTTask stuff was covered before? I know the instructor’s made mention of other projects that weren’t in this course earlier. Maybe in one of those? Because otherwise, I just don’t know how or where - out of the blue - he’s expecting the student to pull the pawn from the owner from the ownercomp from the executetask from the branch tree…

What happened? I feel like I’ve opened a book I was reading to a chapter I’m not up to yet! Who are these characters?! When did so-and-so die?!!?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms