This golf ball has quite a challenge ahead of itself (Section 2.26 challenge)

I took the “this challenge does not have a right or wrong way of doing it” statement pretty far with this project, in that this scene isn’t very town-like at all. However, I have an idea for a game I want to eventually make that involves playing golf in real-world places. This project allowed me to think on that idea a bit.

I call this scene “Desk Golf.”

My lamp model makes a comeback in this lesson! This time, it’s helping a golf ball reach the hole at the top of a stack of books.

I cheated a bit by looking up a tutorial on how to make the golf ball :slight_smile: Somehow, even with the tutorial, I managed to mess up the golf ball. The pattern is weird in some places.

Also, the transition from the cylindrical metal eraser ring on the pencil to the hexagon shape of the pencil is pretty jarring. I’m excited for future lessons where I might learn about ways to fix this.

A few things I learned while making this that I can apply to future projects:

• Applying color early to a model can help identify geometry issues. I realized, very late in the project, that the spine of my hardcover book model doesn’t align with the cover, which causes a dark like (empty space) along the entire length of the spine.
  • When using the same base model over and over in a scene, think about whether the parts should be a single object or many. For example, with the books in this scene, I wasted a lot of time adding the Paper color material to surfaces within a single object. I probably should have 1) created a “paper” cube, 2) applied materials to that cube, and 2) THEN added covers of varying colors.
4 Likes

Looks very interesting.

Blender has special options to do this for you; shiny, dull, highlightes, etc.

When you learn more advanced steps in the course you are able to do this in the node material editor.

Also, it is possible to select multiple objects and change some of the material feature.

All will be explained in this course.

2 Likes

Nice! I’m looking forward to this!

Privacy & Terms