Things on the Road - Collab 2021W03 Diary

Difficult to say now. The last is more from a person point of view.
The sign, yes some things took more time than having use for it.
But then your building also a huge stock of objects.
So maybe good assets for other projects in the future.

2 Likes

After sleeping and looking at the picture now I think that the composition is better (due to clearer focus point for the viewer), but overall the render has 2 big problems:

• lot’s of empty spaces, especially on the right side of the image.
  • colors and contrast… everything is orangy-brownish and too uniform… (this is a problem in previous picture as well). The other noticeable colors are blue and red from the lights… which are not really complimentary to the overall hue of the image.

Now I think I should let go of this scene… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Very good work!
Think I prefer the previous composition tho… this one creates way too much empty space, as you’ve noted.
Both compositions feel like establishment shots… if that is what you were going for then it works… if you were going for more of an “action” shot, picking a camera angle where one of the subjects would fill around a third of the scene’s area is an easy fix for eliminating empty space and forcing focus (using perspective as a compositional tool).
Looking forward to your future works. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback! :smiley:

(yeah, I didn’t go for establishment shot :smiley: )

The subject was ‘on the road’, I think were this me I would close right up on the subject probably completely without the car on the left. Scale down the towers to fit in and look more distant less dominating. Effectively covering about the area of the 3 central lamposts, but not their tops either.

It is a good scene as it is, but the point is the purpose and subject.

1 Like

That’s a good point… last render went even farther from the subject of the Collab :sweat_smile:. Thank you!

I was asked to share the radiation warning sign on one of a discord servers, so I will also leave a link to it here:

:sweat_smile: now I see I modeled it in strange way… it wouldn’t be able to stand :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Signs here, local, are attached to a pole which lies behind the board. Not on top of the pole.
That way more signs can be attached to a pole.

Also, there are international rules/norms about signs. Which illustration means what … and these illustrations are normalized too.
The triangle is more an arrow, while the three sides of a sign like this, are equal in length.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. That what I was referring that it wouldn’t be able to stand. I rushed the sign to have it ready before the deadline without thinking much about it. The same for proportions (I cut corners and simply merged a square at center, that’s why it’s triangle shape is not accurate). Also if you look at wireframe, the modelling is awful - I could easily half the number of vertices and have better topology at the same time (this can be attributed to the fact that I was learning Blender -> Substance -> Blender workflow and at first I thought that I need separate materials to have easy time in substance). UVs are also not great :sweat_smile:

It’s definitely not the model I’m the proudest off. I was hesitant to share it, but as someone asked me I finally thought that he/she has some use for this model. And I certainly will not re-use it as it already served is purpose as a learning experience…

Once again: thank you for your feedback!

Privacy & Terms