The Well

Hello everyone, I am currently following the excellent course from gameDev and added some stuff to the scene that I have learned from Youtube videos in the past two months (volumetric fog, skin modifier for the trees, array for the well, materials for the snow). The scene has been rendered in Cycles.

11 Likes

Excellent atmospheric scene!
Might be a few issues with a human getting under the roof edge to the well.
Welcome to this site.

Keep a look out at the ‘Collab’ section, you may well want to take part.

1 Like

Oh my, nice spooky looking scene.

I also recommend you a collab. This is a friendly competition focused on learning with weekly cadence. Here is the link to the last one:

As a side note I was almost expecting a comment under your render “first render, been learning Blender for 2 days. What do you think?” as one can sometimes see on reddit below posts that were clearly made by someone with much bigger experience :joy:

1 Like

Thank you and much appreciated feedback. I will use the measuring tool now to see if something I create could also work in the real world. It will make my work better. Cheers for that!

1 Like

I will deffo have a look at the challenge and see if I can create something. (Looks like I replied to my own post instead of @NP5 before)

@bOBaN
Thank you!
I’ve seen those, or videos showing “my progress in 30 days” models/scenes that are clearly more advanced than anything I could do. I am having fun learning this tool at my own pace and meet people that I can learn something from. Although, Imagining myself 20 yeasrs ago, I can see myself being discouraged by not achieving the same results as the reddit posters.

1 Like

For sure there are some talented and dedicated people that can achieve great results in short amount of time. Most of those kind of post are in my mind not 100% honest (e.g., someone has 10 years Maya experience and makes his post sounds like he is not only new to Blender, but to all 3D). Though, that’s not the point here. I was just joking, to emphasize how good your render is! :slight_smile:.

And I personally don’t worry what I will regret in 20 years as I usually don’t dwell on the past - I have similar attitude to you - learning on my own pace and having fun while doing it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

no worries at all and thank you. :smiley: Just looked at your collab render of the floor and it looks fantastic. I saw that you were using nodes. Is this the new node system in 2.92?

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

For this collab my goal is to learn Substance Designer - so I’m using nodes in it. Blender can do a lot of stuff with nodes already in terms of procedural textures generation and I think it will get even more powerful. Some of it is covered in the course. I think with the push to “everything nodes” it will get even more powerful, but it’s not a serious competition to Designer (yet :crossed_fingers:).

1 Like

Had to google it because I’ve heard of substance painter (saw it on my steam feed once or twice) but not of designer. Looks very interesting! This is potentially going to be an expensive hobby or with luck and hard work something else. :laughing:

Yesterday I came across Houdini. Which provides procedural effects and they recently decided to provide a free version for private use.

For the moment I’ll stick with Blender exclusively but there are so many interesting things someone could potentially branch out to.

2 Likes

There’s always some new tool to learn or new technique. And technology is constantly evolving. It’s always partially a catch up game.

Blender is awesome in a way that it can do many things that other software can. Maybe it’s not the best for some (like the Designer is better for procedural textures, Painter is better for texture painting, Houdini is better for overall procedural generation and vfx, Marmoset Toolbag is better for baking, etc. etc.). But 1) it’s good enough (and constantly being improved) 2) the concept that you learn in Blender are transferable to other tools.

2 Likes

@bOBaN thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

Beautiful lighting. Well done! Welcome to the community! You’ll like it here.

Thank you @badllama :slightly_smiling_face:

Experimented with Geonodes for the flowers and using particle emissions to create the brick wall in the background this Saturday. Also added space for humans underneath the well.

I must say Geonodes are a great addition!

3 Likes

Oh wow, you really took it to the next level!

2 Likes

An interesting experiment with the new toy.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms