@Morgaine_Christensen I love that you started this topic. I emailed the GameDev team directly with a similar suggestion, before I realized you had already started this topic.
Here’s an excerpt of that email:
I would love to see a course on “Self Publishing Games,” even something simple around promoting a self-hosted game, or publishing games to services like Humble Bundle, Steam, Kongregate, etc. Granted, these types of gaming services have publishing guides specific to their services, but what I am suggesting is more of a broader scoped look at:
- What development elements make a game interesting to publishers
- How to market your game
- How to build for a dedicated/specific audience
- Publishing different game types, educational, F2P, and subscription based systems
- Providing technical support/customer service
- Building social hype around your game
Something that looks at game development from the “business” side of the project. Not all artists are business people, and many/most creatives could use some guidance around monetizing/publishing their ideas in the real world. Well, real digital world in this case.
I am crossing my fingers and toes, closing my eyes as hard as I can, and making a wish that a course like this comes to life.