The Dreadnought Diaries Episode 3 | Capturing Reality (Project: Mara)

For students, interested in realism renders, here is the next step. Amazing stuff.

In the third episode of the ‘Dreadnought Developer Diaries’ we take a closer look at the art process behind Project: Mara, we see the various techniques and tools used by the team to capture reality and create our most ambitious and realistic game setting ever.

4 Likes

Interesting but is there any point in dust particles on the floor, unless you are close up filming a mouse? The eye lacks the pixels! let alone the screen. I recall something Mikey did about resolutions, scales etc.
Interesting lidar scan, the one on latest Ipads and phones is useless, worse by far than photogrammetry, but fast. Very expensive professional kit obviously can do better.

For their particular thing I feel as the room exists it would be easier just to film in it without any model, lol. Ok I have no idea what their end goal is.

1 Like

It’s about a game, where you experience an immersive environment. Examine everything in detail.

1 Like

There might be another point IMO. I learnt it in one of Epic’s unreal courses I did around 2 years ago. This was in a section on building realistic looking interiors. After I added dust particles, which you really, really needed to look for to even notice - the scene somehow come to life. I even A/B tested this with couple of friends and all of them pointed that scene with the dust (even if nobody guessed the real difference between the two scenes). Of course this is totally not statistically significant study ;-). So my guess is that the point of that kind of detail is that we notice (unconsciously?) more things than we realize and it influences our overall feelings. That would be interesting topic to do some research in…

(ofc. assuming that the details are not smaller then pixel size :P)

1 Like

Privacy & Terms