The Blender Collab : weekly themed gallery week 13

Migraine what a great job on your scene all around. The little row boat is awesome love the texturing. But the sand …damn what a job on the sand…how the heck did you get it to look so real with all the little bits and pieces in it and the dimples etc. That really os very well done! Also the environment. Just a great scene all around methinks

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment Rszarka.! I am glad you like it.

I was shooting for realistic but pretty much failed. AbdullahAbin gets the credit for making it look more realistic by providing info on shaders in his above post, which is why I went ahead and posted the corrected shot. The others were too dark or too washed out. The shader information AbdullahAbin kindly posted made all the difference in the world.

Actually, I can’t take a whole lot of credit for this other than listening to the tutorials and following instructions! I didn’t have a lot of time left due to illness so used the “append” function to add the cup, chest, necklace and some coins from the from the September-October Monthly to give it a bit of a pirate feel to it to try to meet the theme of the week.

The rowboat textures and the backdrop were textures were from Textures.com (previously known as CGTextures.com) the links for the specific textures were in the tutorial. Textures.com is a great place to get textures for personal use and they do have a commercial license you can purchase if you are doing commercial work. The water was made using an ocean modifier along with glass and transparent shaders.

As far as the sand is concerned, it is really an illusion! The way it looks in the render is due to the artwork by the person I bought the texture from eons ago. The model merely a subdivided plane with pushed and pulled verts with proportional editing turned on. The model of the sand is really pretty flat and smooth.

Here is what the actual model itself looks like with out the textures applied.

I am thinking you could do something like this with your ship and put it in the Monthly!

1 Like

MMorgaine thanks for the detailed explanation of how you accomplished this awesome scene :slight_smile: All of your work really is very good every time !! One day i hopefully will be able to texture things as well as you :slight_smile: My ship is going to be a very long work in progress…going to make every single tiny detail haha I’m about to add the ropes and rigging which is gonna be a hard one! Had 2 people ask for me via pm to make a thread and post my progress as i go …so will do soon …i think for me the hardest part will be texturing the damned thing! I just don’t seem to get the workings of texturing to good so far …has me kind of stumped haha Unlike your amazing works! Were there any tutorials in particular you have done about texturing which helped you to get where you are?

1 Like

I can’t wait to see your thread! Your ship is amazing!

Thank you for the extraordinary compliment! It is sincerely appreciated!

Blender and texturing has been the bane of my existence for a long time. It is the reason why I have never been really interested in doing more with Blender till I took this class. I will send you a PM and give you some more details.

I’ve not tried to make a palm tree before, but for the trunk maybe overlapping many overlapping cones (possibly attached to bones if you want to pose it) the leaves you could either model or use a texture with a transparent shader and a texture mask which you apply the materal to a plane, like in the rabbit section with the bush’s leaves.

Is a good idea, Stephen. I might give it a go and see what I can come up with. I hadn’t thought about trying to rig it to bend it but, your idea sounds of interest. My mind keeps thinking the sapling add on like we the bush & tree in the Fluffy Bunny section. The add-on Image to Plane is great time saver for use with importing transparent images as well. If you are using cycles, it has the transparent node included in the initial set-up. Thanks for the ideas!

Privacy & Terms