The Blender Collab: Week 29 "What's your favorite movie?" (Closed)

TL;DR: Should be OK.

Warning! Wall-of-text explaining why it should be OK.

Usage of Logos fall more under the “Branding” side of the law than on the “Copyright” side of the law.

If you’re referring to this point from this site’s T&C…

the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;

Combined with this from the FAQ

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

…the intent is to prevent piracy… i.e. don’t upload pirated material or links to pirated material.
e.g. posting a movie-poster = OK, positing that movie = NOT OK.

Pretty much all endorsed promotional material is public domain and distinct from the IP itself. General rule of thumb - if it is behind a pay-wall, then you can’t share. Additionally, if you do share something, give attribution if it is not clear. (e.g. if I cropped out the bottom of a movie-poster and posted it and said “hey guys! look what I made!” that would be a clear violation.)

WRT Logos, a company can only really come after you if you are grossly misrepresenting them or pretending to be them… In something that is clearly a derivative art work, they’ll have a harder time. Fan-Art and derivative works are generally protected provided you’re not attempting to make money off of it where the derived portion constitutes the majority of the work.

(Not a Lawyer, just attended a talk given by a lawyer on this type of topic quite long ago, so if there are any Lawyers who can back this up or refute it that would be great)

EDIT: added TL;DR and some clarity. Sorry for wall of text.

7 Likes

10 Likes

About 10 hours left as of this message. Get those last minute entries in!

@Enodes don’t recognize the movie, but nice render! A little depth of field might make the background a little less flat feeling. Is that a mint or green tea ice cream on the right?

2 Likes

Totally swamped by over ambition, and days of research. Being fussy for information. Failure to get rigging to work, so another day lost, and no different posing, or entire attacking force, or more than blocking (accurately) the layout. 10 hours, I need ten months!

13 Likes

“That is a tasty burger.”

15 Likes

Damn you made me hungry . . . and I’ve already eaten dinner. :wink:

1 Like

its not one movie, its a trilogy

“You’ve got red on you”

“Excuse me, when’s your birthday?”
“22 February”
“What year?”
“Every year.”

“the Golden Mile: 12 pubs”

4 Likes

Thanks Jaco :slight_smile:

1 Like

As per usual for me lately, I’ve run out of time to work on my submission. Got the major stuff done (though some could have used more reference material… or any at all) but there are a lot of small things left undone, as is the texture. But, for what it’s worth here is what I’ve got.

11 Likes

Let it look this way…

Textures from Textures.com

15 Likes

Pretty obvious what it is now :rofl:

Sabrina!

Nice fabrics! :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful lamp.

1 Like

The credits are rolling. The movies are finished. Now is the time to cast your votes. You can vote based on whatever criteria you like, for example:

• best embodies the theme
  • most colorful
  • funny
  • technically advanced
  • realistic
  • you just like it

The only rule is don’t vote for yourself!

Also keep in mind that the images below are only thumb nails. If you want to take a closer look you can scroll up and see the full entries. It’s also good to take time to observe them closely so that we can give each other better feedback.

0 voters

16 Entries this week! It’s great to have so many people participating in this. Nice work, everybody. As usual, a difficult decision awaits us!

8 Likes

I’ve never seen them, or Spaced but I’ve heard Cornetto trilogy many times, should have known. I thought it might be a gangster film where they eat ice cream.

1 Like

By the gods, what an adorable cat!! :star_struck:
The entire scene looks great, but the CAT… :heart_eyes:

… and by the creepy look it has, combined with the overall look of the scene and the blond young lady on her bed I combine that you showed us a scene of “Sabrina the teenage Witch”. Right?

2 Likes

Yes!

My heart said to vote for you (cos of the promise of JCVD splits), but in the end I voted with my toxoplasmosis.

2 Likes

Always thought one day Daniel-San would participate in the Kumite.
Cobra Kai taught me what he decided to do with his life instead… :joy:

1 Like

That’s ok, I would have prefered to get a vote because of my work instead :sweat_smile:
Yeah, I think it was a very hard decision for me this time… also because there are so many good movies the participants took!! As hard as it was for me I decided not to vote only because of the movie itself because to me it felt a bit unfair to the artistic work if I only voted on personal moviepreference.
We could create some JCVD-Movie-Splits anyways, even with out being the next topic :grin:

1 Like

Love your composition and the many different awesome objects in your render!! (Especially the cat of course ^^) If I might ask - do you use the Denoise node? It seems a little bit grainy? Or is that a style choice? (Now that I think about it, it kind of fits!) Anyways, awesome work!

Privacy & Terms