Thanks for the encouraging words

I know I’m late to this class, but just wanted to chime in on this lecture. I am completely new to Unity and coding/programming in general. I found myself struggling through the first few exercises, mostly with controls related issues i.e. moving/resizing an item in relation to another, changing the viewing angle, etc. I was also wondering how someone with little to no artistic ability was going to manage. I was going to ask if there were any exercises/tips that I could practice just the basics with, but after watching this hangout I feel a lot better. Realizing there is still a lot to learn, not just from the program itself or design aspect, but the coding side as well, puts things into perspective. For now, I’m going trust the process and hopefully my issues improve with practice and experience. That said, if there are any such exercises or tips for a beginner aside from practice, practice, practice, would love to hear it.
Thanks.
-Red

2 Likes

Hey Red,

My advice would be to always try to take at least one extra step. In this course for example, if you follow along and complete the section and end up with what the instructors has, well done, but a lot of your learning will come from stepping out from that safety net and stretching yourself, just a little bit.

One of the easiest ways to achieve this is to consider a feature that the course version of the game is missing, there are so many possibilities, but try to pick something small initially, but something you can have a go at adding, thus expanding/enhancing the game, giving it a unique feature which it didn’t have before and something you can say you did. Along the way you may encounter some difficulties, you may have to search online for a bit of assistance, you may have to refer to some documentation which perhaps isn’t overly clear initially, you may have to post here and ask the odd question but all of that will really help you with your learning journey.

With regards to my suggestion about picking something simple, what I’m suggesting is perhaps for your first feature you don’t try to add an Augmented Reality feature, but perhaps you add a player score mechanic, or lives, or any number of other smaller features. Over time you will naturally take on more and create more and creating what seemed like a complicated feature way back when you started will seem less daunting and challenging. Stretch :slight_smile:

It can be difficult to not want to race ahead to the next section of goodies, but again, if you can try to add at least one feature yourself before moving on I think you’ll find this really helps. If you find yourself logging some features that your not sure how to do right now but you’d like to later, set yourself a task to periodically review those features and see if you feel ready to come back and tackle one.

I hope you enjoy the course(s) and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms