Texture Painting — Gradient question

Still following (and enjoying) the texture painting course, just wanted to ask a quick question as search is failing me: While using the Fill > Gradient tool in Texture Painting Mode, is there a way to constrain the gradient to snap to some sort of axis so I can apply it cleanly vertical or horizontal?

When I go to front view, pressing Shift or Alt or Ctrl does nothing to make it snap to the Z axis or to the grid, for example. Is there a way to do that?

2 Likes

I certainly don’t know all the possibilities with these tools, but probably not. You’ll see at one point that even Grant struggles with this and focuses himself on deliberately drawing his line perfectly vertical. Just try to ensure the line is as straight as you can make it before letting go of the mouse button.

If you’re really struggling, maybe try this: with the Brush or Fill tool selected, in the inspector, tick Tool–>Stroke–>Stabilize Stroke. It’s meant more for brush strokes, but could potentially still be useful for this.

4 Likes

No I can not find anything. Now thinking about it, how would Bender pick what to constrain to? If you want to line it up to the grid then you can probably do that by eye using the grid to aid you. Orthographic view front or side, top as needed may be easiest.

4 Likes

Thanks BH67 and NP5. I rely on it a lot for making gradients in art programs, so I was hoping something similar would be in there somewhere and I just couldn’t find it. I appreciate the replies, many thanks!

3 Likes

Actually, if that’s the case, keep in mind that the texture you create in Blender is just a regular image file on your computer. There’s nothing stopping you from editing it further in other art programs that you’re familiar with; Rick actually brings this up at the end of the course, and Grant confirms it’s a valid thing to do. I actually omitted this from my first reply because I thought it would be overkill, but if you’re used to this capability in other software, then by all means leverage that. Enjoy the course! =)

4 Likes

What I do is to ‘mark’ the area by painting it.
And then in Krita, GIMP, Inkscape, and Photoshop manipulate the bitmap.

If the object has a UV-Map I create the UV-Bitmap as bitmap. And use it as a template to paint areas.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t think there is a way in blender. You can goto preferences->File Paths->Applications->For image editor you can point it to your 2D Image editor. I use Gimp. A lot of people use Krita or Photoshop. Then in Blender’s image editor(With mouse cursor over the editor) you can save the image by pressing alt+s. Then click Image->Edit Externally and it will load the image into your 2D program. You can add it to the quick favorites if you do this a lot. Do your work in the 2D program. Then save the image. Switch back to blender, with mouse cursor over image editor press alt+r to reload the image. Then you can continue in blender or go back an fourth.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms