TEXT("SomeText") Has Slight Performance Overhead?

I’ve heard people on the Unofficial Unreal Discord saying that the TEXT(“dddd”) macro isn’t needed if you are using ANSI. They claim that it has an extra performance overhead but I’m not sure how relevant that is or if they are just picking at fine details that would only save you 1/1,000,000th of a second of load time lol.

1 Like

That could be critical in some games depending on where you’re formatting the text. For the course, it makes little or no difference and we’re really only talking about AAA games that would worry about this. Just don’t do this in a loop and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the insight

If you’re making games in C++ the reason is because you WANT to be able to optimize as much as possible. That extra second/fraction is the difference between a stable/not-stable frame rate, loading times that are acceptable/not by your players, pop-ins on textures and models being noticeable or not, etc. Things like that might be small but they can add up quickly. For the sake of our projects for this class, no it’s not a big deal, but it’s good to think about any small thing like that you can optimize if you’re in a bigger development.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been exploring that optimization stuff. Just like Dynamic Delegates vs the other ones, I recently heard there is an added performance cost which makes sense considering they are Dynamic. Anything labeled Dynamic though is going to have added performance cost.

Another thing I will point out that a lot of people overlook which causes serious performance issues and the guys at Unreal Engine point out in basically Every Single Live Stream…is Hard References vs Soft References (Dependency Chains). It seems like nobody even knows the difference. Everyone I’ve mentioned this too so far have had no concept of that.

Privacy & Terms