Text 101 - The forgotten Dwarves

Hi guys,

After having the course laying around for quite a few months now and never actually having taken time for it, I finally decided to grab the bull by the horns. Here’s a concept of what I’ve been making in the Text 101 part of the Udemy course:

What is your theme?
Medieval / Fantasy / Dwarves, Elves and critters!

Who is the player
As the player, you’re on an adventure with a fellow dwarf. You’re both just chilling somewhere and out of a sudden, the city called Novgorlond comes up in your conversation. Novgorlond is a city somewhere deep in the mountains, hidden far away behind a dense forest which hasn’t survived a terrible storm. All there’s left are ruins and corpses of fellow dwarfs which were unable to flee on time. Only a handful of other dwarfs managed to escape.

What is the goal
Since you both miss Novgorlond so much, the goal is to reach the city and try to bring it back to the former glory it once had. You’ll be facing several trials like mountain paths, rough storms, ethical decisions which alter the story drastically.

Since I’ve got a bit of knowledge in game development and quite a lot of knowledge in programming itself, I went ahead and challenged myself a bit. I’ve taken some art from Pinterest (the art is not mine, neither are the fonts!) and edited it a bit, few touches here and there to make a surrounding story on the background of the game. I hooked up the key pressed to buttons instead, so you can click through the story rather than being completely reliant on key-input.

The buttons and text both change content, I’ve been thinking about making each scene have another background image to represent the actual location you’re in. I just couldn’t find enough art in the same style without spending weeks on art myself. Here’s a preview of what I’ve made so far (it’s not much, but for a first shot on the unity canvas… I’m pretty okay with how it turned out):

1 Like

Privacy & Terms