Tavern Sketch

So… I would like to build a “simple” tavern (about 18th century style).
At first I didn’t plan on sharing my sketches - drawing isn’t really my strength, and you probably can’t discern a thing. I just tried to very quickly pin down, what I imagine in my head. I decided to share anyways, because almost nobody has posted theirs yet. So here are mine:

5 Likes

Good to have a plan. Do you have period reference to help yet?

I have been spending hours on googling 18th century taverns, as I haven’t got one near-by. I find it really hard to find concrete information, especially because there is a high variability in taverns - from very luxurious to very simple. So help would REALLY be appreciated!
I find that props are easier to find reference material to (e.g. barrels, pewter dishes, chamber pots, kitchen utensils), than a building or an overview of how everything works together.

Apparently the kitchen was often a separate building - which I decided to ignore, simply because I prefer it inside. So, it’s not going to be 100% historically accurate. It’s not what I am going for either. With my research, I just hope that the tavern gets the “right feel” - if that makes sense.
I might add a separate stable at some point.
What I find very confusing are chimneys. Couldn’t figure out how they had chimneys in several rooms that go together at the end? Suddenly a degree in construction/architecture seems pretty desireable :wink:

In my sketch, of course, the size proportions aren’t realistic at all either. The attic bedrooms will be sized according to the bed size - then the rest will evolve from there I think.

Anyways, any suggestions on how to find good reference material? Do you have any tips?

Some good tips in here for concept “drawing” with pictures:

…you can mimic the suggestions in an illustration program like Krita or even slap something together in Pinterest.

You don’t need reference that matches too closely, you can get away with a cloud of references.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the video! This was eye-opening! I have saved so many photos - often because a detail about it inspired me - but never thought of putting them together. I ended up with lots of unorganized information, that I struggled to access. Going to do a photo sketch now! :smiley:

1 Like

Unfortunately no tips on reference. I have the same issues, things I start grind to a halt as I can not find the info I want to proceed further. I wanted to start making things that could be a use to make scenes from the Peninsular war, (1808 to 1814). I started and made a mule, essential pack animal. Then got stopped dead by not being able to find how they were loaded, what sort of set up was used to add loads. Wanting to get things right is a curse. Be easy just to make it up, but as yet I have not succumbed to that. Though to make any progress at anything historical it may be a necessity. Google and the internet are great, but also frustratingly not complete. Still miles better than finding a book.

1 Like

I totally get that! I love history and would love to recreate it! Sadly it is often incomplete and many things will be left open to imagination. Either because we can’t find the details for it via google/internet - or they are actually still unknown… You’ve probably thought of this before, but maybe it helps to look about how they pack a mule now, and try to imagine how it could have been then?
Anyways, I would love to get to see your scene someday! I imagine it could look fantastic.

Thank you for this video!

Thank you for this video its a great technique
the other problem i have is with scale, how to put the write scale for every part of the model we are creating, if you have any tips on that please share

Awe! Thnaks for the video Recommendation! It also really does help get the mind on the roll!

I found an awesome (and luckily free) program to photo sketch and for references in general: PureRef.
I love it! It is possible to simply drag pictures from google in to it (so no full folders with images you never look at). Checking the keybinds you get an overview over all it’s other awesome functions too (scale, crop, and so on.) Anyways, just love it so much I thought I’d share my discovery :smiley:

Hey, thanks!
You should try the revamped character course by Grant Abbitt… He also recommends PureRef! :smile:

1 Like

Late comer to this thread but I thought it worth mentioning that the methods for loading and load balanceing will not have changed. Technology and an improved understanding of how the loads affect the poor mule will have led to changes/improvements in the tack used but the actual loading wouldn’t be affected. Thus, look for references on the tack and other gear, as well as types of containers, common in the area for that era.

1 Like

Thanks. I agree in theory it ought to be possible, I also looked for old paintings sketches etc. Just ground me to a halt trying to decide. I should get back to it and just take the plunge decide anything, not like anyone is going to know it is wrong!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms