Swiper Passes Through Pins

I’ve looked at other problems people have had with this and I couldn’t see one that seemed to match what I’ve got. My swiper passes through my pins. However my pins are knocked. They start flying off in different directions but either they or the swiper aren’t solid because the swiper visibly goes through them, instead of sweeping them along.
The swiper and the pins have rigidbodies, so they should be solid.
Sorry if I’m making some stupid mistake, but does anybody have any idea what’s going on?

It’s probably the collision detection type, which Ben touches on later in the course. When you select the pins or bowling ball, you’ll see a collision detection property on the rigidbody, which defaults to discrete. Change it to continuous for the bowling ball and continuous dynamic for the pins.

If that doesn’t fix it, check the height of your swiper. Make sure it touches the floor.

Edit: You probably want to change the collision detection property on the swiper too. It might work with it just on the pins, but I’d set the swiper to either continuous or continuous dynamic as well.

That doesn’t seem to make any difference, but thanks for trying! I’ve found a temporary solution by making the swiper not kinematic, but I have a feeling that’ll cause problems later.

I now it is 2 years late but I had this exact problem. I solved it by extending the duration of the swiper animation when it is passing through the pins. Apparently, if the speed of an object is too high, the collision detection gives problems.

I had the same issue with the swiper and the bowling ball. If they are moving to fast the rigid body’s response is to slow to detect the collision or that is what I think is happening. I worked with the animation by extending the duration and changing the z index until the swiper was working as expected. For the bowling ball I had to limit the Vector 3’s z index float value. This controls the ball’s speed. I have not followed Ben’s game dimensions because in Unity 1 world unit = 1 meter so all of the game objects are in meters not centimeters. Unity docs state that you should not directly change the velocity because of unrealistic behavior. People have tried to change it in order to correct how the bowling ball rolls down the lane. [Ball Slowing Too Quickly After Launch] conversation provides the details.

Thanks! I’m sorry for not getting back sooner but I’ve got a lot going on right now and I had a computer meltdown about a year ago so it took me a little while to find where the Bowlmaster files had ended up. Slowing down the animation worked. Thank you so much! I never would have thought of that.

Sorry for replying to an old post but I had the same problem and non of the above-mentioned methods solved them so I wanted to add what worked for me.
Change the default max depenetration velocity from edit > project settings > physics to your need and adjust the duration of the animation.
the max depenetration velocity changes the speed by which an object will be pushed away after entering the collider
Thank you
sarthak

Privacy & Terms