Suzanne hits the wall

This lecture’s challenge attempt. I have Suzanne hitting the wall we made.

6 Likes

I don’t know why the video is not there. It works at home, it works on facebook, but it doesn’t work here. Sorry about that.

Hello Richard,

This issue has occurred a few times recently and I have raised it with the provider of the forum software. Hopefully, it will be resolved shortly, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you Rob. Now I can see it but not hear it. But seeing it is more important anyway.

1 Like

That’s interesting, as I am still experiencing the lack of visual but can hear it!

I got it to play once. When I went back later, it didn’t play the visual, just the sound.

I also tried the suggestion of adding a second of nothing at the beginning would help. I tried that and it still has no visual.

Hi Richard,

Doing some investigation on this issue, I would like to try and determine some commonalities between your video and that of other users who have the same issue.

Can I ask which OS you are using and what sofware was used to create the video please.

Updated Tue Mar 06 2018 09:35

I have uploaded a re-recorded version of your video for you which now plays correctly.

Thank you Rob.
My computer is running on Windows 10 Pro with 32 gigs of RAM. I created the video using Blender 2.79 with the Video Editing layout. I set the encoding in the Properties tab to:

Container: MPEG-4
Codec: MPEG-4(divx)
Audio Codec: MP3

I then just let the animation (made from image 50 rendered images) render the MPEG-4. I also (on this last render) put a second of nothing at the beginning and a half second of nothing at the end.

Thanks for the details Richard.

I should add that the “empty” second that I added to the other video was merely to ensure that the forum saw that the uploaded file was “new”/"different, without this, even if you rename it, the forum software is clever enough to not swap out the files, as it knows it already has it.

I haven’t used Blender myself, so I am not familiar with the process of rendering the videos from it, is there any chance you could provide a screenshot of the available codec options?

Okay here is a screen shot (actually 3 screen shots) of the video settings I used in Blender.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Tricky to see but I think there is a H.264 option for the codec… if you have a spare few minutes, could you try what you did previously, but select the H.264 option for the codec, still with MP4 selected as the container though, and then upload the video in a reply to this topic? Again, only if you have time, I’m sure you would rather be moving forward with the course, but your help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Here is the video with the settings you suggested.

1 Like

*boom*

Ok, that’s great, I think this is fairly indicative that the issue relates to the H.263 codec.

I won’t draw out this topic any further with requests, we have a separate one now for the actual issue and I will take a look at some other videos on the forum to find similarities. After that, it will be over to the team to decide the best way forward.

Thanks for your help Richard, and obviously if you want to share any others you now have some details which should help :slight_smile:

Incidentally, after all of that, I didn’t compliment you on the actual work! It is a nice animation and makes good use of Suzanne! :smiley:

Thank you Rob.

The animation itself was a lot of fun. I am glad you took the time to find out what was going on with the video. Now, I have a good idea of what settings work when rendering a video.

A side note: I put the video on my facebook page and the first comment that came in was from a friend of mine who said “does it have to be named Suzanne?” This was funny to me because her name is Suzanne!

Thank you again

1 Like

You’re more than welcome :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Very funny

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve heard sound in a blender animation! I’ve gotta figure out how to do that!

Privacy & Terms