Suggetion: What is a good laptop for game development - Unreal Engine

Hi,
I started unreal classes on Udemy and running Unreal 4.22.3 on my mac laptop.
My Config:
Processor: 3.1 GHz intel Core i7
Memory 16GB
Graphics: Intel Iris 6100 1536 MB

I feel whole development process is slower on my laptop. It takes like 1-2 minutes for basic stuff like for ‘bull and cow’ and ‘escape building’ games on Udemy. Even moving around in the UI interface while building in the unreal is slow.

I was wondering if my config is too slow? I saw online and people suggested Mac pro, surface pro and other laptops but few others complained that they have similar issues on those devices too. Can anyone suggest if my laptop config is not enough for unreal and/or any suggestions for good laptop for game development.

It is. I work on a similar laptop, but on a super-high end pc too you would need to wait. Game developing takes a lot of time(and RAM!)

Not sure what do you mean by wait? In the videos the tutors were easily able to use the real UI with any lag during the development but I’m having a lot of lag when I’m creating landscapes or building and compiling.

I would suggest anything with a decent dedicated GPU. When I was looking a few years ago the MX150 was the go to for a “budget” (still somewhat pricey) laptop with a dedicated GPU.

Not sure what options are like now as I haven’t been paying attention to laptops since I bought mine :sweat_smile:.

I meant by waiting that you would need to wait a lot for the maps, etc. to load… Have you seen the SimpleShooter section in which Sam mentions it took minutes for him to load the map?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms