Suggestion - Set Resolution to WebGL (960x600)

Hi, posting this both to Community.gamedev.tv and to the Q&A section on Udemy just incase :).

After messing about with the camera and changing the Field of View and then exporting a build of the game, I noticed, it was cut off at the sides, in some severe ways. The resolution being set to “free aspect” doesn’t help when designing a game like this where it doesn’t account for different resolutions.

So I’d suggest a section that shows how to set the resolution (Game panel -> where it says free aspect -> click plus symbol and put it in there) and put in 960x600 (the WebGL resolution) so people can make sure everything is perfectly fine before building the game.

1 Like

Hi Stuart,

Out of interest, which service are you using when you publish your game using WebGL, I know for example that Itch.io allow you to set the size of the iFrame that the game will be run in, so I don’t think the 960x600 is a set size. It may be on ShareMyGame.com though.

Sharemygame however, it is a set size on any service that uses the default player (edit index.html and it shows the default).

If you know what you’re publishing to and know that everything will work out fine, great but in the absense of knowing, if the game isn’t set for scaling things based on resolution (which Project Boost wasn’t) then setting the game view to the default WebGL player seems like a pretty sensible solution which is why I’m suggesting it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a really good suggestion Stuart, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Additionally, there are also the WebGL Build Settings which can be configured for a specific screen resolution, this should change the size of the iFrame on the index.html file which is generated;

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know about that part. the more you know lol.

Ty for sharing that as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are very welcome :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms