Subsurf atifacts

Hi everyone!
I received an issue while using SSS. At certain places of my model it highlights the edges. Without SSS or with more subdivision it’s not so visible.

SSS

No SSS

Most likely the problem is caused by the multires modifier, here’s the geometry.

It seems that the normal map while baked from multires fixes the issue, but the subsurf scattering highlights these places again. How can I fix this issue?

1 Like

Never seen this one. Blender version???

Also, maybe you’ve travelled too fast from low multires to high multires.
Meaning , the low version still copies itself to the higher version …?
Because it was ‘stronger’ (duplicated verts, other modifiers).

Impossible to say how or what. We don’t know hoe you’ve created this model.

Is it your first model? Did you experiment?

1 Like

Blender 3.4.0
Probably no, I didn’t travel too fast.
It was sculpt → retopo → subdivide the retopo → reshape the MR mesh with this SS modifier (so I could go lower on details - which I didn’t :smiley: ) and then go on with detailing.
Actually, I reshaped this multires exactly at the level where this issue appears.
Maybe there’s some issue in the subdivided mesh.
And the problem is visible only at this part. I checked the geometry even with the applied MR - it’s fine, just… the edges get outlined

1 Like

UPD: yeah, the problem comes from the subdivided retopology as below. Either it’s a subsurf modifier itself, or some bug of the shade smoothing. I have applied my material to see if my guess is true, and the lines are on the same places.

@FedPete It’s my first big character model made on my own (without a course guidance). What could have caused this issue, what do you think?
Also, it’s a quite simple place with 4 quads and even only 4-edge vertices, the geomtery doesn’t differ from the places where this problem didn’t appear.

1 Like

Here’s the subdivided retopology (thus, before all multires sculptings) with the same skin material. I tried unplugging normals and everything else but the edges are still visible.

The only conclusion I’ve made so far is that subsurf scattering and more subdivisions make it less remarkable but still visible.
And that is the geometry of the problematic place

My main guess is that it’s some shading issue

1 Like

And finally, this is my old model. It was absolutely fine, made following the guidelines. But now I see the same issue here (though tbh I had to tune the lights to highlight the issue because the skin was much more pale)

1 Like

It’s hard to say what’s happening here.

I ask “Is this your first project, sculpt, Blender experience”, because Many users will experiment by adding functions, options, properties, without knowing what they do.
Confusing Blender as it where, because of uncommon combination, leading to strange Blender behavior.
For example, you turned something on, nothing happens, but forgot to turn it back again, leading to strange Blender behavior.

DiD you try a previous version of Blender?
Did you try to open a new blanc Blender file and import the model, to besure, all default Blender option are still standard.

Also Blender #.x is using a new Cycles-X render engine, maybe it’s a Blender problem. For this you need to search the web.

1 Like

I ask “Is this your first project, sculpt, Blender experience”, because Many users will experiment by adding functions, options, properties, without knowing what they do.

Yes, I undestood what you mean. Sorry, my answer may have been lost in my post flood, so here it is - no, I made the model following the standard pipelines in order to practice my skills. The only difference from the previous model is that this dude has a darker skin (my guess that it’s the reason, but I’ll get back to it a few lines below).

DiD you try a previous version of Blender?

Tried on 3.2.1 - same issue.

Did you try to open a new blanc Blender file and import the model, to besure, all default Blender option are still standard.

Yeah, but nothing changed. And I found out that it appears even on my previous Witcher model but is not so visible.

Also Blender #.x is using a new Cycles-X render engine, maybe it’s a Blender problem. For this you need to search the web.

If nothing helps I’ll try again, but I haven’t found an answer yet.

It seems that my first guess was correct: the main problem is the subsurface scattering. It appears only on dark spots and where there is not too much of geometry. Without it, ot with Eevee rendering, there are no artifacts visible (especially with normal maps).
For example, here’s a cube with the same SSS and similar color, and you can see the lines here as well:

Maybe I’m missing some setting that can fix it?
P.S. For this particular model it’s not a big deal because this spot will be hidden behind a beard and a collar. But it seems to be a general problem so I’m looking for a solution for further models and just for the sake of learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

At normal viewing distances would they even be noticeable? I find them hard to see bar on the first image at all even when you zoomed in really close.
All I am getting at is perhaps they have always been like that and no one much notices so no one has thought to find a fix at Blender.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m getting to a conclusion that it’s just a combination of factors like color, shade and lighting. It is still visible on a shoulder-size render but it will be covered by beard and collar (and I’ll likely render at a better detail level) so I think I’ll cope with that. Thank you anyway, it was nice to chat with you again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old Blender Cycles had a problem while shading objects with too low geometry. Forgot the name. But it can be a Blender issue, yet unknown what it is called.

I must admit, I don’t use this modifier rarely.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms