Subdivision Surface / Auto smooth

Hello, I am fairly new to Blender and I’m following the Environment Artist V2 course.

I’ve noticed that the subdivision surface modifier and Auto Smooth do not work for me, maybe separate issues maybe not. Probably user error.

There’s a section early on in the course that tells me to created a cylinder, reduce the vertices count to 16 and click Auto smooth, this does nothing for me. I’ve tried messing with the angle degrees and it still does nothing? No smoothness, just hard edges.

Also, subdivision surface mod has never worked for me… until today, and I’m not sure why. I was trying to use it on a torus and if I change the level port to 1 or higher the whole object disappears, which at first I put down to have a low end PC. However today, whilst trying to fix the auto smooth issue, I added a sub modifier and it worked perfectly?! Which now makes me think I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice
JP

All these things do work. But it is hard to help with nothing specific to see.

Clicking auto smooth in the Normals dropdown of the object data properties does not work unless Shade Smooth is also activated. SS is usually tried first, and AS if there is a visual problem.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

Privacy & Terms