Study Display V2

Hi everyone,

After learning about texture painting, displacement and normal maps, I think this is a good time to update my current progress and share my Study Display again.

If you are curious, here is the previous post: Study Display

Current:

I mentioned in my previous post that I had been taking reference photos for texturing, so what you see here were made by me on 3 different occasions.

I spent quite a lot of time in GIMP with creating Height maps for these textures. This was before watching the in Blender lectures on the process. I also made one Normal map for the rocky texture, but I ended up using the Displacement map as a Normal map with the Bump node (for the other two as well). It was quicker that way and I liked the results better.

If you watch closely, you can see “shine” on the middle and right textures due to the applied texture painting. I know it’s hard to see, especially on the middle one, so here is another render about the right sphere:

I especially like how the shine just hugs the small pebbles on the right sphere.

I hope you liked this little update. Let me know, which one is your favorite or share any critique you have.

Cheers! :smile:

5 Likes

Try out Materialise, to make your maps from a photo.

End grain is always an issue with woods.
Othe two are interesting effects. Pebbles is nice but probably best displayed on a flat, or near flat plane?

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Materialize is a fantastic software. I’ve been playing with it for 2 hours now.

New results are better on the image with the pebbles, but it still needs tweaking. Here it is on a plane:

It probably doesn’t help that the details in the image make it difficult to create a good material out of it. It would be easier without the orange lichen on the base color image, which actually would be a great additional model on top of the base plane mesh.
Also, a little ambient occlusion would’ve helped me a lot.

3 Likes

Glad to pass along its existence. The pebbles look very nice. odds are you would not want to be that close up on it in most scenes. The problems then become the tiling and patterns showing. It is tricky getting suitable images. Patches of pebbles with no distinguishing feature stone or lichen patch.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms