Stuck with lamp stem bone

So let me get this straight, I’m doing the IK bone limit thing, every bone in my model works perfectly except the lamp stem bone (in my case I named him the root bone), as you gonna see in the picture the bone has all the limit parameters grayed out and even if I try to move it with the other bones it just doesn’t move (but it moves if I rotate it manually with just the R key which is not the way we want to do it).

So to have a checklist:

• it has no bone constraints applied
  • is parented with the base bone
  • when it had rotation lock with the bone constraint one it worked
  • Auto IK is checked
  • Is not on rest position
  • it has rotation and scale applied since mickey said to apply it lectures ago

I even checked the file from the repo of the lecture that Mickey uploaded to GitHub, open it and I really can’t find the way to solve my problem with this only bone, both files are identical except for the grayed out parameters in the IK limiter menu.

if I forgot to mention something just let me know.

2 Likes

Just my 2 cents,

• are those limitations related to the child bone? And if so, the first bone doesn’t have a child?
  • And the number of IK bones in the IK tree, must be less -1 (under control of IK)

It’s too long ago, to say more in detail about this, maybe someone else.

1 Like

Is it your stem bone axis not local? The Y is not in line ‘up’ with the bone.

1 Like

I just checked that, that is the axis for the base bone, not the lamp stem, I just doubled checked the ones from the stem bone and they are aligned with the axis, I tried temporary deleting the base bone which it didn’t helped much.

To be honest I don’t think the lamp stem is a child bone, he is parented with the lower arm and parented with the base bone, even if I unparent the base bone from the stem it doesn’t helps on anything, the bone keeps being stiff.

Ok, I must say I didn’t understood very well this part, are you saying that I have adjust something like the chain length in one of the bone constraints of some sort?

1 Like

So I asked on blender stack exchange (Specifically this link) And in short it was an easy mistake for a beginner, so in the bone constraint I put the chain length on 3 instead of 4 and thanks for that I didn’t have the root bone (or better said the stem bone) working.

I hope if someone has the same problem in the future can see this and double check the chain length of his model.

3 Likes

Well done using Blender stack exchange. I often use that to find people answers to pass along. Noticed you were able to upload the file there which helps a lot. Working from just images usually covers things and we ask for the file in a later stuck situation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms