Strategy course conclusion and future expansion

So I’ve reached the end of the Turn Based Strategy tutorial. I initially thought it has been a bit beyond me, but I am finding that as I look through CodeMonkey’s Xcom prototype game to see how he has implemented cover systems, fog of war etc, I’m able to read the code quite well. Therefore, I think the tutorial has been pretty successful. I think I’ll need to go through it one or two more times to improve my understanding - particularly when it comes to the grid system, events and singletons - but I may be able to get somewhere with my project plans now. Thanks!

As for future topic ideas, since verticality is covered and fog of war/cover is in the project files of the prototype, I’d say I’d like to see how you would implement a perk/ability system to influence unit actions. It would be useful to know the most efficient way to implement this, how to have actions affected by more than one perk at once or make certain perks mutually-exclusive with each other, how to make certain perks create new actions and UI buttons if a unit has them, how to make certain perks only work with specific weapons without breaking the game if the unit doesn’t have that weapon equipped, and so on.

I ask this not because I don’t think I could figure out a way to do a lot of these things, but because this course has been very good at explaining how to build things in a way which is efficient, performant and easy to expand upon later, and it might help me to build a stronger foundation for a game.

Privacy & Terms