Still not happy with solution

So having played with a number of solutions to avoid boring angles (including my own, which I posted), I’m still not happy with how the ball bounces, particularly when bouncing between two nearby blocks. Like imagine if you have a two rows of unbreakable blocks, and the ball is bouncing between them. Rather than the ball bouncing as if the blocks create a seamless edge, the ball hit the “corners” of the blocks, even though they are at exactly the same Y position, and width is exactly the same as the X distance between them. I.e. they’re setup as perfectly aligned as possible. But because the ball thinks it’s hitting the corners of blocks, it doesn’t bounce naturally. Does that make sense? If not, I’d be happy to upload a video. I’d appreciate a pointer on the best way to do that.

Thx.

Hi,

I’m not exactly sure what happens in your case but it might be that the problem is the way Unity’s physics simulation currently works. With the default settings, it checks for collisions occationally only, which is perfectly fine for slowly moving objects.

If your ball moves fast, you’ll probably have to increase some values in the Physics2D settings. This might have a negative impact on the performance of your game. So please be careful.

1. Set the Collision Detection of your ball’s Rigidbody2D to “Continuous”. Test your game. If the result is not better, proceed with 2).
  2. Go to Edit > Project Settings > Physics 2D and increase the iteration values slightly. Test your game.

See also:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms