Steering wheel

I’m already ahead of this course but had to come back here to comment.

Since I implemented controller support I had this very weird bug where my ship would very randomly choose to go one direction (down). I tried to debug it and it just seemed like randomly one axis would suddenly go all the way to the limit. I gave up and continued thinking I’ll give it a try some other time.

Well, just a moment ago I accidentally realized that I have a steering wheel connected. And sometimes, even if I’m not touching pedals the clutch pedal randomly sends a signal (maybe it kind of moves like one step to some direction). Then of course because I’m not touching that pedal it is on its limit on that axis (in this case it seems that not pressing clutch equals lowest value of a given axis).

What made this very hard to find was that it happened randomly. When starting game ship would fly normally. But if any signal from steering wheel would come then I think game kind of thinks that I wanna use this controller now and starts to read value from clutch :smiley:

But hey, now I can play this with wheel as well. Logitech G29 has a rotation angle of 900 degrees so that should keep me busy :smiley:

When testing games, you need to disable or unplug any devices that you don’t want to play with! In fact in any software testing you should isolate the system as much as possible. (Although sometimes this isn’t really possible, e.g. I usually don’t want the trackpad to be read as mouse motion, but it’s not easy to disable it everytime I want to test)

Privacy & Terms