Steel Voyager - Laser Defender

‘Steel Voyager’ is my concept for Laser Defender.

Theme: You’re a spacefaring vessel blasting your way through waves of raiders and other villains intent on recovering your precious cargo.

Player Experience: Frantic, with random health and weapon powerups providing moments of relief in a sea of tension.

Core Mechanic: Shoot enemies while dodging incoming fire, collect weapon and health drops to improve the chances of survival. Lives as well as health.

Game Loop: Survive alternating/mixed spawns of various enemies, all of whom have unique attacks and patterns, in order to reach the end of the level and defeat the boss. Randomized health drops, weapon powerups (spread shot, beam shot, etc) and the very rare extra life help the player prolong their game and achieve victory.

Core Mechanics:
Player Movement, Enemy Movement, Enemy Waves,
Enemy Health, Player Health, Lives

Secondary Mechanics:
Shooting Enemies, Avoiding Damage, Health/Life Drops

Polish:
Boss Battle, Animated Sprites, Enemy Attack Variety, Weapon Power-up Drop Variety, Custom BGM, Custom Assets, Particle-Based Rockets that respond to Player movement.

Below are the assets I have created for my ships:

dotpict_animation_20230430_115229

dotpict_animation_20230429_004504

dotpict_animation_20230429_050400

dotpict_animation_20230505_004838

dotpict_animation_20230507_110110

4 Likes

Brilliant thinking, I love all the thought with this, and the spaceships looks amazing, nicely done!

1 Like

I love the FX you got going. Wish I thought of it, lol. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both! I haven’t been doing pixel art very long, I only started about a month, month and a half ago, so I’m really proud of how they came out. Going to be focusing more on art than coding this summer, so I likely wont have Steel Voyager finished and uploaded to sharemygame until the fall, the reason being my laptop is falling apart, the screen’s held together with electrical tape, and I cant afford a new computer until ~September but I can make sprites on my phone.

Yeah those spaceships are dope. Especially for being so new to Pixelart. What program do you use?

I used Dotpict on Android to create those! I purchased Aseprite on PC to upgrade my toolkit, just waiting on my new rig to be able to make any more progress. No longer ~September though, it’ll be here in a week! Couldn’t wait til fall to get back to my gamedev journey.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms