Started getting an error

Hi, I have just started taking an error after I renew my trophy animations, I don’t understand what it means and it doesn’t direct me anywhere specific, and doesn’t effect anything just sits there…

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.Graphs.Edge.WakeUp () (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)
UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.DoWakeUpEdges (System.Collections.Generic.List1[T] inEdges, System.Collections.Generic.List1[T] ok, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] error, System.Boolean inEdgesUsedToBeValid) (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)
UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUpEdges (System.Boolean clearSlotEdges) (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)
UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp (System.Boolean force) (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)
UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp () (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)
UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.OnEnable () (at <732b665a0eb44a80b9931c01ad63f8b8>:0)

Before I post the error in here I have backed everything up, started from the last update I did, following my footsteps to back and change everything I can think of, looked for it in docs.Unity, searched the related subjects, still couldn’t figure out. So, I decided to post here a bit embarrassed, as a cry for help, while thinking it is an easy solution that I am missing.
After that, I took a break turned everything off, after an hour, when I load my project back up the error was gone.
I still don’t know what happened, just wanted to post my story here to remind you that sometimes if you turn it off and on again, the problems my be fixed by themselves :slight_smile:

Hey, as far as i could tell when I was going through the 2D course on a certain version of Unity 2020, im not sure which version it was honestly, the Editor had some issues with the Animator window and these errors you’re describing are exactly the same as the ones i got. As far as I could tell they didn’t matter beyond the momentary panic they caused making me think I’d done something completely wrong, but they are annoying. I’d recommend upgrading to the latest LTS version of Unity if you haven’t already since i have not gotten these errors when using the Animator window since.

1 Like

Hi Oguz,

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution. :slight_smile:

NullReferenceException means that a reference (“link”) to an instance is missing.

If the error message is not referring to your own script, if you didn’t do anything and the issue just popped up, it might be an internal problem in Unity. Unfortunately, that’s not uncommon. In many cases, restarting Unity helps. In other cases, we must reinstall Unity.

If the error is gone, don’t worry too much about it. If it referred to your own scripts, keep it in mind and try to recreate the issue. If it didn’t refer to your scripts, “forget” it until it reappears.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms