StarForce

A Top Down infinite Space Shooter

(Download links in the description of the video)

First of all big thanks to Ben for such a wonder full course

this is my first game that i have worked on my own (except for assets)

It was a great learning experience to come up with your own gameplay concepts and implementing them

About the game -

• Developed for android
  • Infinite World generation
  • AI ships
  • Fun

Challenges -
the main challenge was to get AI to move around in a procedurally generated 2D level
The unity NavMesh System only works for 3D games so that was’t an option , also i wanted a system that could update the NavMesh at runtime so I decided To use Aron’s A* pathfinding system
in the free version of A* only grid graph supported runtime updation but the grid graph was slowest of them all
after lot of reading up of the Job System I was able to implement Multi-thread Updation which gave a significant boost to the performance
I recently completed the Testing ground UE4 Section and tried to implement similar AI Behavior
the AI behavior is divided in 4 parts

• Seek
  • Avoid
  • Aim
  • Shoot

Avoid was the toughest to implement , for days i was searching the internet for a Local Avoidance or a steer system but wasn’t able to find and compatible with my needs and so finally I decided to implement my own using Ray Casts it may not be the most efficient way of doing it but it works

Android Control setup also game me some problems but i found a very good asset (Simple joy stick pack)
which made it very easy

Menu system were easy but tedious to code and are inspired by the glitch garden menu system

right now I have a fully functioning game so I can finally start adding some fun gameplay Features
this I have planned are More enemy types, pick up system , varied world generation and hopes of Multiplayer

I am planning of monetizing with Unity Ads api basically you can watch an add to gain a additional life
but before I do that I have to go over all the assets and check they are free to use and replace which aren’t

Suggestions would really be appreciated as I need More gameplay ideas

Thank you

1 Like

Hey, this is really cool man! I’m impressed with the AI you made, looks real neat overall! Great job!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms