Stairs are a problem right now

I player around with ProBuilder and made some stairs and a passage. As Player goes through such a passage, he is obscured by the wall - is that perhaps a good time to change scene to whatever comes on the other side of the wall?

Also, the stairs turned out to be a problem for Ethan, he looks really silly while trying to climb it. I trust this is something that we will amend later in the course…

1 Like

Hi Per,

Going through your arch and loading another scene would be an option, but depending on how many arches/doors you have you might find yourself creating lots scenes, a downside of this, apart from the management of your game could be the delays imposed to your player(s) as they wait for things to load.

Other options might include using a different camera follow script that will happily move around and follow the player through the arch or perhaps have the obstacles become transparent as the player moves through and the camera clips them.

Regarding Ethan, his issies are widely covered on the forum, its down to the Character Controller script from the Standard Assets. I wouldn’t worry too much about it at this point and just continue to make progress with the course, when it becomes necessary or, you just stand it anymore, tackle it then. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks. Yes, I have also thought about having too many scenes could be an issue. I hope to learn how to make things become transparent the moment they obscure the camera view, as that would enable me to have tall things such as the walls of large buildings within the scene.

Ethan does not seem to know how to take a break and stand still while on his way up a slope, that is one thing one needs to address to make him look more natural. But I have seen that issue in many games.

1 Like

Hey Per,

Ethan uses the Character Controller script from the Standard Assets. He has a little Raycast the shoots out of his base, if this doesn’t make contact within a specified distance the code assumes he is in the air and sets the animation to falling. So if you are seeing him in the riding an invisible motorbike pose this is likely the reason why.

One of the issues with this raycast is that it’s origin is not very far within the model and if that part of the model is within another collider already, that collision is ignored. For example, if he were to be “in” the ground a little bit the raycasting will not work as intended and you’ll see the falling animation.

Hey Rob,

That really helps understanding what is going on. Thanks!

You’re very welcome. If this is the behaviour you are seeing you may find raising the origin of the raycast, e.g.so it is higher up in the model, may help, that way there is less chance that the raycast will be “in” a collider and ignore it.

Obviously if this isn’t the behaviour you are seeing it may not be relevant to you :slight_smile:

I did get rid of the motorbike pose that used to appear while going down one of my ramps!

1 Like

Great! :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms