Spitfire

Not that interested in animating or rigging right now so I decided to just make a cool shot with my spitfire. I also decided to shade smooth- dunno if this is the right thing to do or not when modelling but I wasnt going to go in and model to a higher fidelity. Shade smooth seems to have brought it to a nice enough finish either way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It depends on the model and your artistic look and feel.

Organic models or your spitfire is a good subject for “smoothing”.
This in combination with a sub-surface modifier will create even better surfaces.

On the other hand, a battle tank with flat faces doesn’t need smoothing. This is called _hard surface" modeling. And of coarse a combination is also possible.

yeah, Im a fairly advanced/ intermediate 2D artist so I know what you mean, hoping my hard surface drawing knowledge will lend itself to modelling. Heres a car and a cart I recently drew. Hopefully these skills translate into blender eventually :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great artwork and style.
I would say that, even while it doesn’t look so, it can be done with low poly-models and smoothing. Then with correct UV-unwrap of the models, you can start painting them (the models), in you 2D-Style.
It isn’t that difficult, but you need to learn master some Blender tools and tricks.

and for the direction you are going to, I would say invest in Substance Painter (Adobe). It’s Photoshop but then in third dimension.
We are excited to sea your progress!

2 Likes

It will be really nice to see those drawings made as Blender objects, then you can render any view of them you want without starting again drawing.

1 Like

Thanks guys! yeah, I think 3d will probs be necessary for most art jobs going forward now that AI is doing 2D extremely well

1 Like

No safe hiding place in 3D, ai is well into the area. But it is a bit like photography, it will take some work but not all, not for a while anyway.

2 Likes

I know, I mean more for speed of work, otherwise Ai bros are just gonna take all the jobs with fast turnaround times :S drawing alone is just too slow and I refuse to use Ai with the current model

2 Likes

damn bro you got talent!

1 Like

I really like what you did with the wings.

1 Like

thanks man, I appreciate it ! :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms