Space Station Diorama

Trying to follow the challenge, again pen-and-paper. I found this pretty challenging though; especially when shading I feel like I have a hard time controlling how dark the areas get (maybe crosshatching would have made this a little easier) …

In general, is it possible to want to go too fast? Is there a recommended amount of practice between sessions (with exercises recommended by Grant at the end of each session) before moving on to the next one? Currently I’m advancing pretty fast because I’m just enjoying each new lesson, but maybe I’m shooting myself in the foot because I haven’t “leveled up” enough?

4 Likes

With a hard (h2) pencil it’s easier to shade gray in more nuances…

1 Like

Cool, thanks a lot! I’ll give it a shot next time!

Until now, I was using my H pencil for drawing my light lines and guides and so on, and then my HB or B for the final lines and shading …

Follow-up question: should I be using multiple pencils to get multiple shades of gray? Or should I focus on sticking with one pencil and getting my nuances by putting more pressure and going over the darker areas more than over the lighter areas?

1 Like

I used HB because it was lying around … :wink:
But then I found a 2H, it gave me sharper lines, but also less stroke visibility.
With this pencil, it is easier to make light gray shadings.

I would say buy the whole set. But if you have a 2H lying around start using it.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I have a set of pencils, and I think I have used those in the range of H → 2B, the H one for some guides, B for shading, and I’ve used 2B for darker shading. In general, I guess I’ll play around with using more of these pencils just to play around and experiment :slight_smile: And I’ll give those H-pencils a shot as well for shading :smiley:

1 Like

Yes you should, have fun!

Privacy & Terms