Source control within Unreal - What, how and why?

So recently I wanted to start making a project with a friend through Unreal, and the first thing we both want to do is share our work with each other; assets, code and blueprint the whole shebang.

After a bit of research what I gather is it stages code and blueprints but when it comes to assets do we have to share them via say OneDrive? Is this an effective way of sharing a project and is there any other way of going about making a group project? Or am I not understanding this - won’t be the first.

Thank you!

For assets you aren’t going to be changing much if at all like static meshes then take a look into git LFS.

1 Like

Sorry for the really vague question, I looked into Perforce which so far seems the most effective. But to clarify what I really meant is say an artist makes some UI, how does this get tracked through GIT? So for example if I had a team, how would I share the assets with everyone to make the full game or does 1 person have the full project (UI, pictures etc) and I would have the static meshes, code etc which can be transferred through GIT since its made in Unreal and allows me to do what I need to? Sorry again for the terrible question.

Maybe another question is, how do Indie and big game companies manage it?

Thank you for your patience

Well you would need a server. For example in the case of git LFS, GitHub or whatever host you use just stores the binary files and git will have pointers to those files for the history.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms