Something Strange

I’m doing the bit of the course to do with sculpting, right at the beginning. I followed the mirroring, the subdividing, the applying the latter, and then went into sculpting. Then I tried the remeshing. When I remesh, it seems to do the opposite of what happens in the lesson, i.e. if I remesh at .1 I have less vertices and if I remesh at .4, the piece disappears, and at .3 I have a cube… is this perhaps due to the mirror before the subdividing and the mirror not applied? wild guessing, here…
that’s before any remeshing.
that’s a .1 remesh
and that’s a .3 remesh
Anyone else encountered this? I tried entering -.3 and crashed blender, so I won’t be doing that again… it seemed logical, at the time grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The higher the remesh number the fewer the faces.

The number is more the size of the faces to be created.

1 Like

In the video, there are fewer, larger faces before Grant remeshes. After he remeshes .1 there are many vertices, so he remeshes at .5, then .4 which gives more faces that are then larger than at .1 and that ties in to what you are saying, but it doesn’t explain why I get totally different results from what is shown… I remeshed at .05 and got something similar to what Grant gets. So, it looks like the scale is different? my remesh at .5 is much larger than what I start with… perhaps I’m in metres and Grant is in cm? Thanks for the response. I can now remesh at .05 or.04 to get the same result as in the video.

1 Like

Possibly your base mesh is a different size than Grants. Or, just check scales are applied.

In Sculpt mode you can press shift R, pull mouse about, and see a grid of the remesh size. Also if you look at the remesh number in the box it is in metres. So bigger faces for bigger numbers. A remesh of 1.0 would be one metre sized faces.

2 Likes

ok, thanks, that makes sense.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms