Some Blender UI pitfalls in this one

Weight Paint: you cannot select a bone if either Paint Mask or Vertex Selection is active.
Since they look similar to vertex and face selection in good old Edit Mode, once one of them was active (not on purpose) I was not expecting that I can deactivate both at the same time, rather than always having one of them active.

Vertex Weights: this panel is only added to the vertex info (which looks the same otherwise) if you click on the vertex, not if you create a selection including only the vertex, e.g., by box-selecting over it.

(Concerns Blender Animation & Rigging course, Lecture Rigging & Weight Painting a Leg, from around time 6:16. I am using Blender 3.6.5 on Windows. )

4 Likes

Thank you so much for clearing that up!

Grant was showing this in a previous lesson and I thought at first the vertex weights were displayed by an add-on I didn’t have. When he showed it again here I was still confused about how to show the vertex weights, it’s a really useful tool. Without your help, I wouldn’t have found that magic vertex selection option in Weight Paint mode. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind reply! I am glad that notes of my findings were helpful!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms