Some 2 question related to rendering

Q1. What is the difference between Cycles and OptiX?

Q2. When I render in cycles using my CPU, CPU usage goes to 100%, and the same case happens with my GPU if I render using my GPU. Is it safe?
Specs:-
CPU:- Ryzen 5 5600g
GPU:- RTX 3050
Ram:- 16GB

Q1.
Cycles is a full ray tracing proper renderer.
OptiX is a sort of code or method of executing rendering on NVidia graphics cards, a sort of Cuda Plus. Your card either can do it or not depending on age basically I think.

Q2.
Yes that is normal, making the most of the capacity to calculate. It is ‘safe’, as I understand it the computer monitors things like heat and would turn up fans or turn it down or off if it was a problem. Crypto miners run them non stop for years like that.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

2 Likes

What NP5 wrote is correct. Let me expand a bit more.

Q1) For 30xx (and 20xx too) series cards OptiX should give you better performance as it is using dedicated raytracing hardware on those cards. The difference in my case isn’t huge, but every second multiplied by many renders a year one makes adds up :-). As a interesting fact, it worked also on older cards, but on my old 1080ti the performance improvement was very dependent on what I was rendering and quite small so after doing some tests I didn’t bother with it.

There’s an official benchmarking site for Blender (crowdsourced data) that shows that you should have big gains with OptiX (higher scores are better)

OptiX:

CUDA:

Q2. Unless your hardware is faulty (which will break no matter what you do with it) or used in bad conditions (huge amount of dust clogging GPU fans, unstable electricity with faulty or cheap PSU, etc.) , you are safe.

For additional (anecdotal) reassurance I still have 1080ti in my old desktop from 2018 which works fine to this day and I’ve used to run render jobs that could take many days on it frequently :slight_smile:

And as a side note about crypto mining - rendering uses more parts of GPU than mining, esp. with OptiX and is less optimal as temperature fluctuate (gaming is even worse in that regard). But GPUs are (and have been for quite some time) designed with constant heavy load in mind, so nothing to worry about. And there are multiple levels of failsafes built in (e.g., when VRAM on your GPU will start overheating, at around 10C less than factory certified number it will simply start to throttle / slow down).

So no worries - render away to your heart’s content! And with 3050 you will have a great times doing it! :slight_smile:

Edit: added link to blender benchmarking site :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for searching a lot on my question.

2 Likes

I believe though Suryanash has said he has an all AMD computer and card. So OptiX will not work on any of it. Rendering will be ‘plain’ non enhanced. Though I understand the latest versions of Blender have had work done by Apple and AMD to work better on their latest machines.

3 Likes

He wrote that he has RTX 3050 and RTX is I think trademarked by NVidia :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL failure to read past the first one. Must pay more attention to code numbers. :grin:

2 Likes

XD :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms