[Solved] Why doesn't my script output any text?

Oof, I feel pretty dumb already but I can’t get my script to output any text to the console. No matter what I type in my C# window, nothing comes up in the console.

I attached a picture of how unity looks. Here is the inspector window:

Here is my C# code. Yes I know that it is not in markdown format, but I am trying to figure out one thing at a time right now:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class NumberWizard : MonoBehaviour
{
// Start is called before the first frame update
void Start()
{
Debug.Log(“Welcome to Number Wizard, yo”);
}

// Update is called once per frame
void Update()
{

}

}

Any ideas?

Should work, mind posting your entire project.

Try navigating to Window —> General —> Console. This will open the Console Window which you are missing in your screenshots

Lol, hope that is not it. I noticed it was missing too but figured that was to obvious

1 Like

Never overlook the obvious, I keep finding myself spending hours trying to figure out why my games aren’t working only to discover I didn’t save the script(s)

@tropicallazerbeams Try putting your commands into your update function the start function is called once soon as the script is called and the update function is called once per frame.

Hope that works for you

Lloyd Risper

In the screenshots my console window is on the right hand side since that is what the teacher advised in the video. I moved it back to the bottom cluster of windows too, but that didn’t solve my problem.

Okay this wasnt the answer but it gave me a hint as to what it was. I had my console window in the upper right hand cluster as the instructor advised, and nothing was happening. Then when I put my commands in the update function, I noticed that a little number was moving in the console window. Apparently, all output from the console had been suppressed until I clicked to activate the console messages, warnings, alerts, etc.solution

2 Likes

My bad, didn’t see it hiding up there. Glad to see you found the problem :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms