Solidifier working differently

Hi everyone, when Grant adds his solidifier to the top of the base at 2.20, his solidifies downwards, however mine solidifies inwards. So rather than about a foot coming down from the new top section of the base, it’s coming back inwards.I know I’m probably missing something stupid, is anyone able to point me in the direction of what i’m doing wrong?

1 Like

Have you checked to the Normals? In Edit Mode, in the top right of your Viewport, there is a dropdown for the Viewport Display Options called “Overlays” (circle overlapping a sphere).

At the bottom, in the Normals Section, click on the 3rd icon from the left, called Display Normals

The little lines should pop out, to the faces, towards you. If they are not ALL facing you, try SHIFT + N, to re-calculate the Normals. That should fix it, if that is indeed the issue.

Hope that helps!

• Sven2157
3 Likes

Change the modifier to negative distance numbers, or if negative go positive, It changes the direction of the solidify created geometry.

Checking the normal is always a good plan too.
The overlays dropdown has the little lines Sven21 mentions to turn on, or the easier look is to tick the face orientation box. Blue is good, red is inside out.
Alt N accesses the normals flipping correcting etc. pop up.

2 Likes

The same thing happened to me. What ended up working for me was extruding the bottom edge loop slightly and then scaling it in a bit before solidifying and it gave me the same result.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for jumping in so quickly to help! Unfortunately all the normals were as they should be, so that wasn’t the problem, and changing the modifier to negative rather than positive numbers gave me the same effect but in the opposite direction.

The thought had also occurred to me that it was solidifying at such an angle was because my dome was perhaps steeper than Grant’s, so I tried making the dome shallower to see if it made a difference, and that wasn’t the case either.

I’ve used Trish’s workaround for now, but I’ve saved as a new file to continue because i’m keeping my fingers crossed that someone might have the answer and I want to put it to the test at the state it’s currently in. Result looks just as good, but I’d like to know what is going wrong in case it comes up in future projects.

Thankyou so much again for all your suggestions, I’ve only been using this site for a week and it seems a really helpful community!

2 Likes

If I may, Doesn’t he say something about scaling with the Normals axis?

Images help everyone, words only are not as helpful to solve these riddles.
I realise now reading more attentively, lol, you say inwards meaning smaller not down as opposed to up, That suggests perhaps a lack of applied scales on the object.

Hope this helps

Mystery solved, it is indeed the scale that was the problem- this wasn’t addressed till a couple of videos down the line when doing the paving slabs, which I’ve just watched. Hooray!

4 Likes

I was testing it before you answered. :laughing: Tried every modifier parameter. Eventually, the only thing that replicates yours was the Z scale being non uniform with the other two axes.

Hence an object view of yours would have shown us that. Images were small to read too. Bigger next time, please!

Great, it is sorted.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms