Snapping rotation/translation

When trying to snap objects to a vertex, I begin grabbing with G pointing at the vertex I want to snap and then move the cursor towards the vertex I want to snap it into.

When it finally gets there, the whole object decides to either rotate or snap another farther vertex to that point, can’t know which one (although it is probably the second option) because I have no reference points.

Here I post a couple of pictures detailing the problem:

Although it can’t be seen, the cursor is over the bottom right vertex of the cube at the top.

When the cursor finally reaches the vertex I want to snap into, the whole object moves to snap another vertex there.

If more context is needed to know what is happening, I am moving the cube at the top to the left.

1 Like

To add more context, I decided to paint the Cube. In red is the corner I want to snap, and in want to snap this Cube diagonally. Also, I numbered the faces to know if it was rotating. As I assumed initially, it wasn’t, it is just translating the cube and snapping a vertex I don’t want to snap into the right place.

1 Like

Are you set to the default snap to closest?

I can not see what you want to happen differently. I just replicated the set up, and it behaves as I would expect it to.
I have the cursor close to the vertex I wish to snap (your red marked corner,) to another then press G move and it snaps to the one in the lower cuboid on the vetex I drag it to.

Your snapping vertex on the moving object is highlighted in a orange tiny circle on you images.

Can you post an image of how you want it to end up? Even if you have to get close without using snapping just to show us.

1 Like

Show also the “Snap to” properties!

Thanks for the quick responses!

The “Snap to” properties:

The desired result:

Sorry that I took a day to respond, I’ve been busy and haven’t had time to open my computer.

1 Like

Alright!

Rewatching the video I think I have figured it out. It’s the thing that you first move it close to where you want it to end, and then snap. You clearly state that you must do it in the video, but I was thinking that it would work anyway if I began from the points shown in the earlier pictures.

Hence I am lead to believe that the “close” in the settings means that it will snap it in the way that will move it the least.

I have some trouble understanding how it can escalate when dealing with objects of larger polygon counts, but I guess I’ll deal with it when I stumble upon it.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

1 Like

Taken me hours, lol. Learning a way to record, edit, well clip the ends, and upload.

Note where the cursor is when I click G and where the cursor goes and where the snapping point moves about to.

2 Likes

With bigger mesh objects, you start to hide the not-needed parts. Cleanup the work environment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms